Saturday, November 26, 2005

Story Idea

Bear with me while I outline the beginning of a romantic adventure...

Two strong-willed people have been together for somewhere between 9 and 10 years. Let's call them Evie and Rick. They have a son who, as the story unfolds, is extremely bright and very talented at getting into trouble. The family travels to Egypt and are searching in a pyramid for an ancient artifact--the Bracelet of Anubis, which has the power to bring the Scorpion King to life. The heroine and hero (Mom and Dad) go off into the tunnels, searching for the artifact, and leave their son alone. While Mom and Dad are off searching, son amuses himself by building a mouse trap.

Then, he hears men's voices. He climbs up onto a high scaffolding, lying down just as three unsavory characters walk into the main room. While one man goes off looking for his mom and dad, the other two stay behind and start sorting through the pottery and artifacts already discovered. Now, he amuses himself with his slingshot by shooting hard clumps of clay at one of the unsuspecting thugs, hitting him first in the ear and then in the rump. His third shot is caught by the second man, who comes after him.

Meantime, the third bad guy is watching as Mom and Dad find the Bracelet of Anubis. Of course, the room is boobytrapped and, by removing the Bracelet from its box, Mom triggers the boobytrap.

Okay, so, I stole this from The Mummy Returns, which I watched last night for the fifth time. (Why watch it again, you ask? Well, it's got Oded Fehr in it. And... it's got Oded Fehr in it.) But this was the first time I actually sat there and thought, Why in hell would these two intelligent people leave their son ALONE in an old tomb, especially when they know what kind of trouble he can get into?!?

Yes, I know. That's the way the script was written. My point is, if I wrote this as a romantic adventure that I wanted to sell to, say, Kensington or Dorchester or Berkley, I think the first thing I'd hear is that the opening is not believable. Well, it's not believable if the heroine and hero are sympathetic, likeable characters. Which I want them to be. In an earlier blog I talked about having your characters act like real people--don't send the heroine down to the basement where the monster is without a compelling reason for her to do that.

So why is it that a screenwriter can get away with it, and romance writers can't?


(P.S. I wrote over 6,500 words yesterday. That makes about 15,600 for the week. If I weren't having so much fun with the novella, I'd probably be done with the NaNo project. But I get tired of NaNo and want to move on to something else.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my. Kate is going to have fun with this blog today. I won't spoil her fun. Unless she doesn't show.

Sherrill Quinn said...

I understand completely what you're saying, which is what I'm saying. :) After they get home from Egypt, and the bad guys come and snatch Evie... remember? They fight the bad guys, get Evie back, Jonathan steals a double-decker bus and they get away. Jonathan stops the bus, Rick and Evie start kissing, the kid wanders to the back of the bus and gets snatched!

I even had a bit of a problem at the end, where she risks her life to save Rick. I mean, it's awfully romantic, but where does that leave Alex if they both die? Raised by Uncle Jonathan?

The biggest disappointment when I first saw this movie was the CGI of the Scorpion King. I mean, come on. It's Hollywood. Home of special effects. You can't tell me they couldn't have animated from the waist down and attached the real Rock's torso, face and arms. Give me a break.
And don't get me started on the balloon-ship thing. Talk about the implausibility of the last-minute rescue...

Anonymous said...

It was terrible what that movie did to the Rock. Man. It took two more movies (The Rundown) for me to discover he's bite-alicious.