Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Phew!

I got a call from my doctor's office this morning with some much needed good news.

Let me give you some background info, first. You know those commercials for one of the cholesterol medications--the ones that show food and Aunt Ethel and Uncle Joe? The premise of the commercial is that cholesterol problems are a result of both the foods we eat and genetics. My dad, who eats like a garbage disposal (meaning, just about anything) and is about 150 pounds overweight, has perfect cholesterol. The bad cholesterol is low, the good cholesterol is high. My mom, who gets on the treadmill just about every day, watches what she eats and is maybe 30 pounds overweight, has just the opposite. High bad cholesterol, low good cholesterol.

Me? I got the weight issues from my dad, the cholesterol issues from my mom. Tell me that's fair. It's not. Bah.

Well, anyway, the last time I went into the doctor's office for my annual "put your feet in the stirrups and say aah" and blood tests, my doctor told me she wanted me have a Calcium Score Test. A CST is kind of like a CRT. The technician hooks 4 electrodes up to you (or whatever they're called), lays you on a table that pulls you chest deep into a metal donut. Then the machine takes a picture of your heart and arteries. (You have to hold your breath to the count of 50. Try it. It's not that easy. It's not really hard, but it's not that easy.) This picture shows the amount of plaque build up in your arteries.

Now, allegedly, doctors only order this test because they're concerned. Because you're a prime candidate for heart disease. Because your bad cholesterol is high and your good cholesterol is low.

Can you see me sweating? God, I'm about ready to have a heart attack worrying that I'm going to have a heart attack.

So, today, The Call. My CST was 0. Zero. Which is the lowest score you can get. The best score you can get. Oy vay. All that biting of the nails for nothing.

At least with the shorter nails, I can type better.

2 comments:

For The Trees said...

AHA! So THAT'S why I bite my nails - to type better!! Doggies! The things you learn on a writer's blog!

Congrats on your numbers. They put me on 500 mg of Niacin a day and I'm glowing like an outdoor light and giving off the heat of a jet engine at full rev. Plus my skin itches so bad I would shred it off if I could.

Oh, well...health: the thing we do to write. Maybe I should go walk...nah, why spoil a good session with my Muse?

Sherrill Quinn said...

Well, if you can't learn something deep here, at least you can learn... something.

Take care of yourself.