Wednesday, November 16, 2005

The Historian

I bought the book, The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova, a few months ago. I made it to page 50 and put it down. Probably 3 or 4 weeks back. I haven't had any desire to pick it back up.

It might just be me. First of all, the book is written in first person, which I've never really enjoyed reading. Plus, it's 642 pages long. For anyone, that's a huge undertaking to read. Let alone write. I'm not sure how Ms. Kostova did it.

Several writers on the FF&P loop raved about this book, which is why I bought it. I mean, it's Dracula. Whether he's the bad guy (as in most books) or the good guy (if you haven't read Fred Saberhagen's The Dracula Tape, The Holmes-Dracula File, and An Old Friend of the Family, you should), he's... Dracula. The ultimate vampire. The original. The one that changed vampires from decaying corpses who rise from their graves to attack their families to sexy, irrestistable creatures of the night who pretty much have people fighting each other to be the ones who get bitten.

This is Ms. Kostova's first novel. First. Novel. 642 pages. In hardback, no less. That's over 160,000 words. Sheesh. I'm having trouble making sure I can keep all the characters straight and have strong enough GMC to get a 50,000-word novel done. More than triple that, and you've got The Historian.

One of these years I'm sure I'll finish wading through this. There has to be something of value in 642 pages. I mean, the publisher saw something. Other readers have seen something.

It might must be me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big huge honky epic sized books depress me.

Mostly cuz I know I could never write over 100,000 words on anything. And first person? All I can think is "Dang...brave writer."

Mind boggling. I have hard enough time with 1/2 that length.

jenna;)

Sherrill Quinn said...

But I paid a lot of money for this danged thing. Gotta do more with it than just use it as a doorstop...

For The Trees said...

Personally I don't think finishing a book you've given a chance to is all that great an achievement. Today's world is going by too fast to commit to a languishing lounger that won't let you get to any conclusion. If the first 50 pages haven't helped you to feeling like you GOTTA finish it, you don't need to force it.

After all, there are gonna be people who eat your novels raw because they can't wait to read them, and others who won't be tempted past the first one, even if it's covered in Godiva Chocolate. So get over it, Sher, let the monstrousity be and get back to your self-inflicted wound, NaNoWriMo. You gotta get that one licked.

Forrest

Sherrill Quinn said...

I know you're right, Forrest. (sigh) But... damn. This book wasn't cheap. And I love vampire fiction. Maybe I'll put it in the bathroom for those, you know, "alone time" times. :)

For The Trees said...

Naah, don't put it in the bathroom. The excess humidity makes the edges of the pages swell up and the cover won't close correctly any more.

Donate the book to a library book sale so the novel can find its intended audience, and let go of it!

Put inspirational literature in the bathroom - a book you'll go to almost every time for a boost. Try one of your FAVORITE authors or a positive thought book or...you know.

Forrest