Monday, November 21, 2005

Low-Carb One-Way Ticket To Hell

I'm starting Day Two of my low-carb diet. Day One was successful, from the standpoint that I didn't put anything in my mouth that I shouldn't have. Of course, practically all day I was craving something sweet. Candy, cookies, cake, whatever. It's a good thing I have nothing in the house like that. Well, I have some French Silk ice cream, but it's chocolate mocha flavored, which I didn't realize when I bought it. Coffee flavored, and I don't like coffee. I like to smell it, but can't stand the taste.

But I digress. I've done this low-carb route before, about 2 1/2 years ago. In the first three months, I'd lost 30 pounds. Then (and I don't remember why) I went off of it. And, whoa Nelly, look out! If it had carbs, it wasn't safe around me. And if it was made with white flour or white sugar, cover your children's eyes, cuz it was NOT a pretty sight. Packed back on 20 pounds in no time. Now, having sat on my butt for nearly 3 months, I've gained the other 10 pounds back.

Time to get serious. I am, by nature, a very introverted person, although 20 years in Human Resources has taught me to be very good at sucking up and bull shitting. But I'm looking into the future, to writer's conferences, reader's conferences (i.e., RWA and Romantic Times) and seeing myself, quiet in the corner, because I don't know very many people and I hide behind my weight. My very substantial weight.

Regardless that I seem to be in good health right now (if you don't count the high blood pressure and the high cholesterol, which are currently managed with meds), I know the years of excess weight are taking their toll.

So, I'm back on the one "diet" I know I can have success with. And, call me crazy for starting it the week of Thanksgiving, but... my Thanksgiving Day will be spent alone, as my brother and his family are travelling to her brother's house out of town. So, I won't have cookies and pumpkin pie and stuffing to tempt me. I can have all the turkey I can eat (within reason!) and green beans and ... turkey and green beans. And salad. No potatoes, though. White stuff. Bad.

The thing that I hope will keep me going is the mantra I keep repeating to myself. It's not like you'll never be able to eat this stuff again. This time next year, I'll be able to eat stuffing and mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie.

Now, it's onto Day Two... wish me luck.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always good to start a diet the week of Thanksgiving.

at least the jeans will be only slightly tight at your dinner. Elastic waistbands. that's the secret.

smr said...

{{{{{Sherrill}}}}} My DH changed his eating to high protein-low carb for 1.5 years now (http://www.7naturallaws.com/). It is a lifestyle change he decided to make, and he looks better -- and more importantly feels better -- for having lost 40+ pounds and getting his cholesterol down and blood pressure under control. It ain't easy. I know I could not live without my potatoes. On this diet plan, DH is "allowed" to eat yams and/or sweet potatoes (can't recall which or if it's both), so you might be able to add those to your Turkey Day meal. Good luck in your pursuit to healthy weight loss! You've got gumption, gal! *G* ~Su

Sherrill Quinn said...

You know, Su, the really insidious thing about this is... ordinarily I don't eat potatoes. As soon as I go to high-protein/low-carb, though, it seems that's what I want with my next meal. Talk about self-sabotage. Aargh.

Had my eggs and sausage this morning with a small glass of milk. Salad for lunch with yummy grape tomatoes and some new cheese I picked up at the store -- cheddarella (a combination of cheddar and mozzerella). Looks like Colby Jack (white and yellow). Bought a rotisserie chicken, so ya'll know what I'll be having for dinner the next several nights. :)

Thanks for your well-wishes. I appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

I tried a low-carb diet but...I hate eggs. Blah. So, that lasted, like, a day. Life became very depressing without potatoes, rice, pasta, bread. Y'know - the good things in life. Moved onto Jenny Craig that's going better.

Good luck, Sherrill. Remember: vodka and Coke Zero or Diet Coke have noooo carbs. :)

Jimmy Moore said...

Congratulations on starting livin' la vida low-carb this week. It'll be the best thing you'll ever do for yourself. As a man who lost over 180 pounds because of the low-carb lifestyle, I am cheering you on to the same success!

GO GET 'EM GIRL!

Jimmy Moore, author of "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb"
LivinLaVidaLowCarb.com
livinlowcarbman@charter.net

For The Trees said...

....
I'm wishing you all the luck in the world on your diet. And seeing you being very successful at it.

With Sherry bedbound, I'm in complete control of the food and the kitchen - and the dirty dishes. So I control our portions. It's just a tiny bit of several things, even mashed potatoes. It's just a very small ice cream scoop of mashed potatoes. Plenty of salad, that's free.

I'm losing, just not as fast as I want to. She's losing, and is thrilled about it. Our monthly chocolate bill is down by $330-$400 while our salad bill is up $200. I'm saving up the excess cash to buy a new Mac Mini computer.

Still and all, the slow weight loss is the way to go. It comes off real slow and as long as you/I/we maintain that small portions lifestyle, it stays off. Exercise (the pool for her, walking and the pool for me) trims us up and helps with metabolism.

Golly, I'm such a great cheerleader. Telling you all about how to do it when what you need is some Rah Rah. Damn. How insensitive. So shoot me, put me outta my misery.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks, everyone. I'm taking it one day at a time. Went to the grocery store yesterday and for the first time in a VERY long time, didn't buy stuff that was bad. No chips, no real ice cream, no battered, fried stuff... Did buy some Coke Zero. Not bad. I've been drinking diet for so long that I could tell a distinct difference. This tastes much more like "real" Coke. :)

Day Three and counting...