Friday, November 25, 2005

I Think I'm A Fraud

Well, not a fraud, exactly. Just someone who it's becoming very apparent is NOT very good at writing stories much longer than 20,000 words. Not yet, at any rate.

Why in the name of all that's holy did I think I could write 50,000 words in a month? Without a plot? (As much as I whine about GMC, it is necessary.) Because someone said it could be done? Aargh. I've got so many holes in this thing, I might as well call it The Titanic, cuz it's goin' down.

The middle of the book happened at around 18,000 words. That's at least two chapters early. Then, the "black moment", the one that's supposed to happen toward the end, because once this has happened, the book's pretty much over... it happened at around 31,000 words. Hello! Remember? Book's over once the black moment has happened? This is supposed to be a frickin' 50,000-word book. Not 33,000. Or 35,000. Not even 40,000. Fifty thousand!

I write because that's what I need to do to be true to myself. But I also want to be able to sell what I write. And I want what I sell to be damned good (or I won't sell very much). This exercise in futility is so far away from being damned good that it's shameful.

I'm going to keep plugging away, because I set a goal that I would write 50,000 words by November 30th. And I like to meet my goals. Do or die, or some such nonsense. Who knows? Some of this may be salvagable in the rewrite process.

Does it count if I just type blah blah blah blah blah?

3 comments:

Sloane Taylor said...

Darlin', you are not a fraud. You're a talented author and doing one heavy mission here. 50,000 words is a great accomplishment. No where does it say they have to be 50,000 editor-ready words. Now where the hell's that 2x4?

Sloane who just happens to be one of your biggest supporters and I'm not talking about my dress size.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Darlin, I love you. I sure as hell wish you lived closer to me so we could support each other face to face, so to speak, instead of out here in cyberland.

Anonymous said...

I say Screw NaNo.

Screw it.

It's obviously a torture device meant to make writers feel inferior and stupid and lazy and incompetent.

I'm striking. Enough of this crap. It's bad enough I'm abused by my characters. I don't need grief because I'm not writing 50k in a month. What was I thinking? I can barely pay my bills in a month.