Sunday, March 05, 2006

Read An E-Book Week

Each year "Read An E-Book Week" celebrates the fresh voices and fresh choices of electronic literature. When the top 10 bestselling list for 2005 includes the Bible, Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary and Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith, there remains no doubt that e-books have gone from oddity to mainstream.

Book lovers world-wide have used their mouses to send e-book sales soaring. Steve Potash, CEO of OverDrive, Inc. and director of International Digital Publishing Forum, the trade and standards association for the digital publishing industry, stated: "E-books represent the fastest -growing segment of the publishing industry."

"Read An E-Book Week" (March 5-11th, 2006) was created four years ago to educate readers about the advantages of electronic books, and to promote the fledgling industry. In 2002, publishers were struggling with low sales and libraries reluctant to consider their books. Today many libraries carry e-books and even provide e-book readers to their patrons. E-book topics now range from dance instruction to science fiction, repair manuals to romance novels.

E-book sales continue to rise each year by as much as 30%, which gives e-book authors and publishers reason to celebrate.

Another reason for me to celebrate--I just got my first "two thumbs up" from a reader. Check this out: "I made a comment last week about buying this book because of the cover... I'm glad I bought it! I give this newbie author 2 thumbs up! In a short number of pages Ms. Quinn manages to give this story a strong plot and characters that are well worth remembering. I hated to put the story down this morning (but I had to go to work), but as soon as I got home I finished it! Get this book! It's worth your time and money!"

How incredibly cool is that?!?

10 comments:

Sherrill Quinn said...

Hey, Chey! I didn't know about Read an E-book Week, either, and now I don't remember how I stumbled across it. But the stats are promising--and as more and more NY houses get on the bandwagon... well, it can only get better. :)

smr said...

Great review! You gotta be feeling pretty good these days -- as well you should be! Proud and happy for you, I am! ~Su

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks, Su. If I were any better, it'd probably be illegal. *g*

smr said...

lol

qpubavi: Swahili for "the highest praise"

Landra Douglas said...

Congrats Sherrill! That's awesome! :o)

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks, Landra!

I managed to write about 1200 or so words today, then got distracted by playing with my MySpace site. I've been having fun with it, but it's time to get back to work.

Landra Douglas said...

MySpace is a horrible form of crack, isn't it?

Sherrill Quinn said...

It IS a horrible, HORRIBLE form of blog crack. But... go over and take a look and let me know what you think, would you? www.myspace.com/sherrillquinn

Landra Douglas said...

I like it Sherrill!!

Sherrill Quinn said...

Yay, then I didn't completely waste my time today. LOL