Friday, March 03, 2006

March Is National Women's History Month

I'm going to be blogging periodically throughout the month about women in history that I particularly admire, hoping to share with others what made them special. The theme this year is "Women: Builders of Communities and Dreams," honoring the spirit of possibility and hope set in motion by generations of women in their creation of communities and their encouragement of dreams.

I'd be remiss if I didn't start off with my mother. She's not going to win any awards from anyone except her grateful kids, but she managed to raise four of us and make sure we became responsible, intelligent and compassionate adults. And while sometimes she may not agree with the choices we make, she still supports and loves us.

One of my sisters-in-law comments about what funny, fun-to-know people my sister, two brothers and I are. Considering she's been around us for 30 years, she's in a good position to know just how "funny" we can be. LOL I give most of the credit to my mom. Dad was a great provider: we never wanted for food, clothing or shelter, but he wasn't invested emotionally in us. Mom was.

Mom is.

Thanks. I admire you. I love you.


(P.S. Welcome home, Jenna. You know where to find me if you need me.)

2 comments:

Sloane Taylor said...

Your mom is a fortunate woman to be able to give so much of herself that her children love her. A wonderful tribute, Sherrill.

Sherrill Quinn said...

We're the fortunate ones, believe me, Sloane. :)