Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Queer As Folk

All righty then. I watched the first three episodes of Queer As Folk (the American version) Saturday night with three of my critique partners and two of their husbands. The first episode was the sexiest (of course--they had to get your attention and make you want to catch the next episodes, right?), with one of the main characters, Brian, picking up a 17-year old boy.

By the end of the third episode, we were all feeling sorry for the kid, who thought he was in love with Brian, who's the most self-centered, self-involved character I think I've ever seen. Although he certainly had his moments. *G*



And Brian's best friend... well, you could tell he was in love with Brian, too, and all Brian did was use him (emotionally, not physically) and then toss him aside, time after time. It all comes back to what I said on my NCP Authors blog yesterday: If a guy's a slug on the inside, it doesn't matter how prettily he's packaged, he's a slug. And Brian, from the first three episodes, anyway, is a slug.

The writing, I thought, was good, and the acting as well. I may have to watch this show some more, though, just to be sure...


And today's my mom's birthday. She's been on this planet for 77 years! Happy birthday, Mom. I love you.

10 comments:

Sherrill Quinn said...

Well, I hope he starts treating people better. He was a real p***k in the first three episodes I saw, especially when it came to how he treated Justin, the 17-year old. It almost made me cry, he was so mean.

Thanks for the birthday wishes for my mom, Kate. Although she doesn't read this blog, *I* do. :)

Faltenin said...

Happy B-day mom!

As for slugs... yep. Now all you girls need is some sort of a detector so us non-slugs have a chance! Girls are ALWAYS attracted to the slugs first!

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks, Fal. I'm not sure why girls are attracted to slugs first, other than the aspect of forbidden danger, but (hopefully) it helps us grow and learn to recognize the non-slugs when we see you. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your mom.

I've never watched Queer as Folk. But then my tv time is very limited.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Well, I haven't had HBO (I think they were on HBO, or Showtime, I can't remember which) in many years. One of my friends rented the episodes from Net Flix.

Thanks, Nancy, for the birthday wishes for my mom. :)

smr said...

Hope your mom's BD was a great one. :^) I never even heard of QAF 'til now... Do I watch TV? Umm, nope. Not much. "On Demand" more than anything 'cause I can stop and start it whenever I want/need to. :^) ~sluggish Su

Sherrill Quinn said...

Kate, that's an excellent example. Lois was wildly attracted to Superman (I mean, come on, with all those muscles and those tight tights (manly tights) who wouldn't be?), but when it came down to it, she recognized and loved the quiet Clark.

Glad you found your Superman wrapped up in a Clark Kent. :)

Sherrill Quinn said...

Su, don't feel bad. I didn't know anything about the show until my critique partner started talking about it.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I missed all this yesterday but I was miserable. MISERABLE!

Fal...Kate's right. After the mid-20s the slugs are just slugs and deserve to be salted.

Happy belated to the Mom!

And Kate, your Hubster is Superman! His superpowers are just a little more low key.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Hey, Jenna. I hope this means you're feeling better today!

Fal, upon occasion, women in their early to mid-twenties do recognize the non-slugs, so don't feel like it's only those of us who are approaching or (gasp!) are on the other side of 30 who appreciate more than just physical beauty. :)