Friday, March 17, 2006

Happy St. Patrick's Day



Well, actually, for more than just today. My father's family came to America from Donegal, Ireland, which is on the Northeastern coast of Ireland, during the potato famine. James and his wife Elizabeth, along with their sons Andrew, Samuel, and Jonathan, came to American and settled in what was then Virginia. The boys grew up and married local girls. When the Civil War came, the father and one son fought for one side, the two other sons fought for the other. (I can't remember who fought for which side.) After the civil war, when Virginia was divided into Virginia and West Virginia, the family ended up living in West Virginia.

On a road that's named for us. *G*

A couple of the original houses still stand back up in the hollers, as they're called, long-since abandoned. The old homestead where my grandfather was born in 1903 is still in the family. As a matter of fact, one of my great-great-aunts still lives there. I remember as a kid going to family reunions and visiting with my great-grandparents, who were both in their mid-90s when they died. No stories of ancestral life in Ireland, but plenty of stories of pranks played by my great-grandfather and his father before him there in the hills of WVa. (There's a story concerning two Mormons and the Devil and his son... and the bit about using resin under a window sill and making it sound like the house was falling down... and painting the "Man Wanted" sign on the widow's barn... oh, wait, that was my mom.) Oh, well, if ever a stereotype was true, it's that the Irish are ornery. At least, I can say without hesitation one particular Irish family is ornery.

So I come by it quite naturally.

Before I go, I'll leave you with one of my favorite Irish hexes:

May those that love us, love us.
And those that don't love us,
May God turn their hearts.
And if He can't turn their hearts,
May He turn their ankles,
So we'll know 'em by their limpin'.


Today's the day to celebrate all things Irish. So wear a bit o' the green, have a green beer or two, and kiss as many Irishmen (or women) as you can!


8 comments:

Sloane Taylor said...

As a second generation American I'm in awe of your heritage. Thanks for sharing.

Celebrate YOUR day to the fullest.

Kiss as many Irishmen as you can!
Now that's advice I can live with. Hehehehe.

Maya Reynolds said...

Glad to see you overcame the obstacles Blogger was putting in your way today. :)

Happy St. Patrick's Day from a 50% Irish lass.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Hey, Sloane! I'm wearing green but that's probably as far as it'll go today. Darn. Should've gotten some corned beef and cabbage when I was at the grocery store...

Sherrill Quinn said...

Hi, Maya! I didn't get to "overcome" my Blogger problems until just about the time you posted. I went from getting a "down for maintenance" message to a "forbidden access" message to, finally, a blank screen. But, for now, it appears to be working. :)

smr said...

Yay! It's up! I'm in! Must be some trickery of the wee green ones, those *whispering* Leprechauns! And look at that -- the word verification letters are a lovely kelly green. :^) Happy St. Pat's Day, O'Sherrill! ~O'Su

Sherrill Quinn said...

Yay, Su! Blogger finally got it fixed. I've been feeling lonely with no one able to visit me...

For The Trees said...

I musta pissed off a Leprechaun because I'm still down. And don't know how to send irate email to the techs out there. Oh, well, maybe tomorrow.

Happiest of St. Paddy's Days to ye, Sherrill!

Sherrill Quinn said...

Sorry 'bout that, Forrest. Hopefully you'll be up and running tomorrow. :)