Monday, March 06, 2006

National Women's History Month - Susan B. Anthony

As I mentioned in a previous post, March is National Women's History Month. I'll be doing a few blogs that deal with women who have been pivotal in influencing events of their time that had far-reaching effects.

Susan B. Anthony was born in 1820 in Massachusetts. She was the second oldest of eight children born in a very strict Quaker family. While other children were playing games and having fun, Susan and her siblings were being instructed by their father in self-discipline, principled convictions, and belief in their own self-worth. This instruction was to become the foundation for Susan's fight in the temperance movement and later the suffrage movement.

After the Civil War, Susan demanded that women be given the same civil and political rights that had been extended to black males under the 14th and 15th amendments. She led a group of women to the polls in Rochester to test the right of women to vote. Two weeks later she was arrested. After being tried and convicted of violating the voting laws, Susan was able to fight--and win--against paying the fine. From then on she campaigned endlessly for a federal woman suffrage amendment.

She wasn't always politically correct, however, especially when she was angry over the language in the 15th amendment. For the first time the word "male" was written into the constitution in permitting suffrage for freedmen. She sometimes argued that educated white women would be better voters than "ignorant" black men or immigrant men. (Her point being, I'm sure, that having an education was more important than possession of a penis. Men may have a different opinion here.)

Susan also campaigned for equal pay for women. It's rather sad that over a hundred years later we still don't have that. While women enjoy bigger salaries in professional positions, I can say I personally observed male executives being paid more than their female executive counterparts. (And, unfortunately, I had occasion to use the following sentence: "I'm dickless, not brainless.") Which would go back to Susan's point about educated women being a better choice for a voter than an uneducated man.

Although she didn't live to see the consummation of her efforts to win the vote for American women, the establishment of the 19th amendment is largely due to her tireless efforts.

11 comments:

smr said...

ROTF:

..."(Her point being, I'm sure, that having an education was more important than possession of a penis. Men may have a different opinion here.)"

Love it!

But sorry to hear:

..."(And, unfortunately, I had occasion to use the following sentence: "I'm dickless, not brainless.")"

Just when you think business intelligence has evolved, BAM. Great little blog here, lady! :^) ~Su

Sherrill Quinn said...

Hey, Su. Glad you enjoyed the blog. When I think how most women were treated for so many centuries as property and barely above the consideration a cow would get (and I *know* there were some enlightened men here and there who treated their wives and daughters as people to be cherished, not bartered, battered, or brow-beaten), it puts things into perspective and really does show how far we've come in a relatively short amount of time. But the frustrating part is, here we are in the 21st century, we've got all this great technology, yet there are still men who don't feel women have the same value as men because... why? I don't look at a man and think he's any better or worse than a woman because he has something I don't (a few somethings, actually LOL), so why do some men think women aren't as smart or as deserving of an equal salary for equal work?

Oy. I'll get off my soapbox now.

Sloane Taylor said...

NO!!! Stay on your soapbox. You're doing great!

Sherrill Quinn said...

Well, it hasn't been all that long ago that I was out in Corporate America every day, and saw this attitude in members of the Board of Directors *and* the CEO. (shaking head and muttering) I can only hope that as more enlightened men come into power positions, this kind of attitude will be seen less and less.

Thanks for stopping by, Chey & Sloane!

Sherrill Quinn said...

Hey, Kate. I don't know anything about Canadian history, but y'all aren't so much different from us in a lot of ways, so I imagine our histories have a lot of similarities. I just wish I had the zeal these women had.

smr said...

Sherrill said:
"I just wish I had the zeal these women had."

Meeeee toooooo. Locally (in 1998) I was very involved with many neighbors in trying to keep a restaurant across the street from our neighborhood (on the other side of our town's boundary) from getting a liquor license. Months of organizational meetings, planning commission meetings, township commissioners' meetings, borough council meetings, planning, signs, emails, letters to editors and political figures, and even meeting the then-Governor of PA, AND attending an unprecedented 7-hour official Liquor Control Board hearing and legal $$$ fees later, ... they got the liquor license anyway. Pffft.

Okay, so in the past 2 years I got involved in trying to keep a huge retail shopping plaza from being approved (main store: Super WalMart) 1/4 mile from our home. I tried until I was blue in the face to get someone to enforce having an archaeological survey done before they break ground because of local historic relevance and the potential of finding traces of a fort documented to have protected the early settlers here from Indian attacks (1790+/-). Newspapers interviewed me, I contacted the DEP, the local political windbags, etc etc etc, all to no avail.

Talk about generating apathy.

I give the women of our past so much credit -- I could not have persevered as much and as long as they did.

(sorry for the length of this comment! sheesh!) ~Su, off to take daughter to the next round of rehearsals... Jesus Christ, Superstar, here we come! Whilst son is at high school rehearsal for Wizard of Oz...

Sherrill Quinn said...

Yeah, Su, imagine persevering for years. And then not seeing the results of your efforts before you died. :(

Anonymous said...

cool blog, Sherrill!

Sherrill Quinn said...

Hey, Jenna. It's about damned time you came back here to see me. :)

Sherrill Quinn said...

I've never understood how people can't not vote, Kate. It's not like it take a tremendous effort to pay attention to the news to know who stands for what. Here in Arizona we have voting by mail, so I don't even have to go to the polling place. How much easier can it get than that?!?

What's that line? All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men (or women) to do nothing (or something like that).

Sherrill Quinn said...

Kate, it just goes to show you that most stereotypes just aren't accurate. :)