Saturday, March 25, 2006

The Male Psyche

I've been taking an online class titled "Understanding the Male Psyche." I have to say--it's one of the most interesting classes I've taken in a long time. Not only will this help me write a stronger, more believable hero (I hope!), it also will help me understand the men in my life.

One of the things that has stuck with me the most is this: The reason men and women are so different in the way the perceive things, the way they communicate and interact with others is completely physiological. Our brains, literally, are wired differently. Men actually have more brain cells than women (which has led to the quite mistaken belief by some that men are superior to women), and the bundle of fibers that link the left and right hemispheres of the brain are thinner in the male brain by about 10%, with as much as 30% fewer connections, which allows less information to be exchanged faster between the two sides. Men, therefore, tend to be more left brained (analytical and logical) while women have greater access to both sides. A woman has the physical capacity to connect large pieces of information, thus allowing her to see "the big picture" and remember more details. In other words, she can multi-task. A man has a harder time crossing his brain hemispheres.

Which is why he can walk past a pile of dirty socks on his way to get something from another room and actually not see the socks, because he's not looking for them. (Although I suspect he can still be trained.) LOL

Not too long ago, Sixty Minutes ran a segment about research on gays. (I don't think they talked at all about the differences between lesbian and straight women. If they did, I missed it.) Something that caught my interest was, again, explained physiologically. It seems that the more older brothers a man has, the more likely he is to be gay, if he is RIGHT handed. It deosn't seem to be the same for left handed men. (Why, I don't know.) For every older brother, a man's likelihood of being gay increases by a third. The theory is that the mother produces antibodies for a boy because there is now some genetic material in her body that's never been there before. And for each boy, the antibodies increase.

It would be interesting to look at families with, say, 6-8 boys and see if that theory bears out. Whatever it is, it's apparently raising interest among women. Yet another of my publishers has called for its authors to come up with M/M stories--which, I from what I understand, are gaining in popularity among straight women.


These two certainly look delicious, don't they? *G*

I have my local RWA chapter meeting today, and this evening my critique group is getting together to watch a few episodes of Queer As Folk. I've not seen any of the shows, but two of the women in the group have and say they're very good and, for the most part, an accurate portrayal. As with most things, though, there is artistic license utilized, I'm sure.

Anyone care to weigh in on this subject (either one--men vs. women, or gay men vs. straight men), have at it!

(P.S. I won't be posting tomorrow--see you on Monday!)

10 comments:

Marci Baun said...

Wow, cool post. I enjoyed reading. Topics such as this fascinate the heck out of me. However, I don't believe the older brothers theory. I know of several very large families (my gr. grandad had 17 kids!) with many older boys in them and no one is gay.

Btw, cool looking blog too.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks, wcp/fb! This is a fascinating topic, the difference between men and women. And that there are such basic physiological differences is really fascinating.

Thanks for visiting!

For The Trees said...

I'm upset about the lack of seeing the larger picture. Damn, I have enough trouble getting the pictures for my stories! I don't NEED problems with the rest of the world!

Nice post. Thanks Loads!

Sherrill Quinn said...

Forrest, but now at least you know why you may not be able to see the larger picture. *G*

Trista Bane said...

Awesome post. I think I'll be taking classes until I die, but I'm thinking this is one I'd actually enjoy-- and get something out of!

Sherrill Quinn said...

Trista, this has been an awesome course--I'm really glad I'm taking it. It explains a lot. *G*

T.A.Chase said...

I only have one older brother and he's gay..so not sure if my family could be used as study material. lol...actually we got be research fodder for several other dysfunctional studies. :)

It sounds like an interesting class, Sherrill

Sherrill Quinn said...

T.A., you know everyone's family is dysfunctional to one extent or another, right? LOL

Glad you enjoyed the post. This has been fascinating class--have one more week to go before it's done.

smr said...

lol -- dysfunctional = normal

remember when the term "normal" came under fire? I do! lol Now it's "dysfunctional's" turn. I thought I married into a more "normal" family than I came from, but time is proving me WAAAY wrong!

Interesting stuff, Sherrill. I try to tell DH how differently we see/hear/react to things because of our genders. Until he reads it for himself in a credible study/book/whatever, though, it doesn't really "stick" with him. ~Su

Sherrill Quinn said...

Hey, Su. It has been a very interesting class, as I've said. Very enlightening.