Tuesday, March 14, 2006

National Women's History Month - Clara Barton


Best known as the founder of the American Red Cross, Clara Barton was born in Massachusetts in 1821. The youngest of five children, she was educated at home and began teaching at the age of 15. Her most notable pre-Civil War achievement was the establishment of a free public school in New Jersey.

In 1861, Clara lived in Washington, D.C. When the 6th Massachusetts Regiment arrived in D.C. after the Baltimore Riots, she organized a relief program for the soldiers, beginning a lifetime of philanthropy.

When she learned that many of the wounded from the First Battle of Bull Run had suffered, not from want of attention but rather from a shortage of medical supplies, she advertised for donations in the local paper and began an independent organization to distribute goods. The relief effort was successful, and the following year U.S. Surgeon General William A. Hammond granted her a general pass to travel with army ambulances for "the purpose of distributing comforts for the sick and wounded, and for nursing them."

By the end of the war, Barton had performed most of the services that would later be associated with the American Red Cross, which she founded in 1881. She retired in 1904 and died eight years later.

The American Red Cross is one of the largest non-profit relief agencies in the world. Red Cross volunteers are often the first responders after disasters, often driving hundreds of miles to provide supplies and support to victims.

Clara Barton saw a need, and responded with tremendous passion and compassion. She's one of the great women in American history.


(P.S. Thank you everyone who gave me words of encouragement yesterday. I'm feeling much better and much more optimistic. I'm giving myself the day off today, too--running errands and meeting my friend and critique partner Suz for lunch, and who knows what the afternoon will bring? But I really appreciate your kindess and support!)

8 comments:

smr said...

Inspiring blog today, Sherrill. :^) As for supporting each other, what goes around, comes around. {{{{{Sherrill}}}}} Thanks to you, too, for the ever-ready pat on the back and comforting words during my dry spell. Talk about droughts... *sigh* I'm forcing small conversations with characters here and there, hoping to spark something. Have a nice day off -- I'm off to get new faucet knobs for our shower at the plumbing store. Fun times today! lol ~Su

Sherrill Quinn said...

Have fun faucet shopping, Su. :) And you're welcome, hon. I'm usually fairly upbeat and stay positive; for whatever reason, this has hit me pretty hard. But, as I say, I'm feeling better today. It's probably jsut PMS. LOL

smr said...

Writers block + PMS = Writers Cramps ???

*ducking and running, off to fix my faucets!*

~Su

Sherrill Quinn said...

Writer's Cramps works for me! LOL

smr said...

LOL

Wonder why I never defined writer's cramps that way before? lol Hope your day was relaxing and rejuvenating for you, Sherrill. Recharge those batteries! :^) ~Su

Anonymous said...

You are definitely not alone in
those feelings. I have been what
I call out of step with the world
for over a year now and before that I was getting over a breakdown so I do know how you feel.

I love the Sparkles and the
COWBOY PICS.

Your books sound so great that
you will make it.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Sandy, thanks so much for stopping by and giving me words of encouragement. I appreciate it, since you've been battling with this kind of thing, too.

Take care.

For The Trees said...

Sorry I didn't get over here to read your blog yesterday, or I'd have gone bonkers trying to find words to console you, cheer you up, try to make you laugh. And right now MY words aren't coming.

I'm stuck, I can't get going on my story.

So, WTF, I wrote a flash fiction that'll probably get morphed into a short story. Don't know yet. Right now it's just flash fiction.

Which proves that no matter how bad it seems, we're really okay. I think I've got Inspirational Cramps, myself.

Glad you feel better today. I think you're a lot like me: if you're not doing something constructive, you're wasting time. Having the guts to allow yourself time to fart around without a "constructive" result is a major accomplishment. It's taken me almost 15 years to get to that point, and I STILL berate myself for not getting words into pixels. Go figure.