Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Day 1 Continued and Day 2

When we arrived in Sedona, the first thing we thought about doing was... eating lunch! Of course. LOL We stopped at Tlaquepaque (ta-lah'-key-pah'-key), a shopping center built as a Mexican town square. It's adorable--take a look.

This is one of the main courtyards:

And one of the "alleys" leading to more shops:


Isn't it adorable? I love this place! We ate at the Oak Creek Brewery & Grill, and shopped a bit, then went and checked into the hotel (a lovely--can you see my tongue in my cheek?--Days Inn... hey! It ended up being $52 per person for one night. Not that I slept much--the bed was like a brick. But it was only a $52 brick versus one more expensive.) Then... we shopped some more. Rather, my family shopped and I walked around and looked, then found spots outside to sit and get some sun. I'm not much of a shopper. I'm really more of a hunter... see what I want, bag it and take it home. LOL

This is one of the views from the shopping area in downtown Sedona:
On our second day, we went to Slide Rock, which allows you to go right down into Oak Creek (there were people coming up to swim, even though the water was c-o-l-d). There's an old homestead on the property. The picture below is what these folks saw everyday when they walked out of their house:


Then we drove over to Jerome, an old mining town that sits right on the side of the mountain. You get up and down the town by driving switchbacks. Most of Jerome now is supported by tourism. We only went in a few of the shops, bought fudge (yum!) and, of course, took pictures. I'm not sure what this building used to be; it's one of only a handful that hasn't been restored:

And my favorite:


Unfortunately, Belgian Jennie's was closed while we were there, so I have no idea if the food--or the atmosphere--was any good.

Later this week I'll share some pics closer to home--the Arizona Sonoran Desert Museum, Sabino Canyon, and Mt. Lemmon. Then it's on to Tombstone...

After putting almost 900 miles on my car, I'm still tuckered out. LOL

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I know that first picture!!

Yep. Gotta go back to Sedona.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Come on down! I'll take you. :)

Unknown said...

Such beautiful pictures! Makes me ready for my vacation.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a good time, even if your sister did bring you some germs. :)

Such beautiful country, I'll have to explore it sometime.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Tess: I need a vaca to get over my vaca! LOL

Nancy: Anytime you want to explore over this way, let me know. :)

Faltenin said...

I wanna go to Belgian Jennie's!!!

*moment of doubt... What if Belgian Jennie is in fact our dear Jenna???*

Sherrill Quinn said...

Fal, isn't it great?!? Of course I had to get a picture of the sign!

I'm pretty sure our sweet Jenna isn't Belgian Jennie. Jenna's naughty, but she isn't that naughty. LOL

smr said...

Gorgeous place. Can't wait to see and explore it for myself one day. :^)

Sherrill Quinn said...

Su, one day. In the not too distant future, right? :)