Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Writers Don't Write All The Time...

... or do they?

For this writer, I've found I don't do much of anything when I'm sick. I focus on being able to breathe, on getting better. I do know that I obsess about not being able to write, especially when I'm sick. Too much soppy, heavy fatigue to battle through, too much blowing of the nose, coughing so hard my ribs hurt. And I don't write.

But I think about not writing.

Does that count?

I did play on Fal's blog yesterday (or was it Sunday? Boy, time so does not fly when you're sick, but everything manages to meld together anyway), inserting a line into a free form poem he started. But I don't really count that as true writing. I also started the June newsletter for my local chapter but, again, not the kind of writing I'd like to be doing.

Of course, with my sister here, I wouldn't have done that much. We'd have been out and about seeing things, doing things. Not all sitting inside watching TV. (Of course, if other members of my family who live here and shall remain nameless didn't feel so inconvenienced to have to drive a whole 40 minutes to get to my place from their house, my sister and her friend could have done something today. But that's all I'm gonna say on the subject.)

Today, no matter how I feel, we're going out. We're going to take a tram ride up Sabino Canyon in the morning, then drive up Mt. Lemmon in the afternoon. Probably grab a bite to eat at the Iron Door restaurant at Ski Valley. (Not sure why it's called a valley when it's at the top of the mountain... I guess because the slopes come down into a valley? Not being a skier, I have no idea.)

One of the environmental features I like the most is the change of scenery as you change elevations. At the desert floor and up to about 2,000 feet, you'll see lots and lots of saguaro (most often pronounced "sa-hwaur-oh", but it's acceptable to pronounce the 'g', as in "sa-gwaur-oh"). The only place in the world these cacti grow is here in the Sonoran Desert.


Then the saguaro drops away and it gets a little scruffier, then soon you're into evergreens and it looks like any other mountain you'd see in the world. Except its just over 9,000 feet above sea level, and it rises from a desert.

Needless to say, we'll be taking plenty of pictures, which I hope to start sharing by mid-week. (It's my sister's camera. I don't have a digital camera. Yet. I know, I know. I'm technologically deficient. I don't have an iPod, I don't have a plasma TV, I don't have a lot of stuff. But I have my laptop with wireless Internet, so I'm happy.) *G*

But, back to the subject. For you writers out there, do you think about writing all the time? Or think about not writing? Or do you actually have "off" moments when you're not obsessing?

11 comments:

For The Trees said...

I feel like Kate's got it right. I worry about not writing when I'm depressed - and can't think about anything else except NOT writing - and I think about writing when I'm at WalMart buying groceries and when I'm going to the library and when I'm reading blogs (Oh, you shouldn't! DAMN! I can't be "ON" all the time!! But you SHOULD! Shut UP.) And I talk to myself, berating myself, for NOT writing all the time.

After all, if I've got this gift, why am I not using it all the time?

For The Trees said...

And I'm beginning to pine for another installment of "All's Fair." You need to get over there and put up another episode. Forget the others' contributions. You first. Now. Posthaste. I'm in the mood to read about lusty busty dusty trusty SEX!

Stacia said...

I think about writing all the time, Sherrill. ALL. THE. TIME. My husband gets a little irritated, but I can't help it.

I don't generally write when I'm sick, though, either. I just think about it. I do sometimes make notes.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Kate: I guess that's it. We're defined by our love for words. I like that. :)

Forrest: I'm the same way, buddy, especially after I've had a bonzer day the day before. But I have come to realize you can burn out your muse, and you have to let him (or her) rest a bit. Oh, and be patient. The next installment of All's Fair will be up on Monday. :)

December, hopefully your husband will be less irritated about it as you become more and more successful. *G*

Anonymous said...

There's an off switch? (looks around excitedly) Where?

When I fell up the stairs at the station this morning (it was beautiful - I think I'll have a bruise) I thought "Wow, can I put this in a story?" before wishing I had ice to put on my toe since my foot slipped off the step catapulting me forward and down causing my sling bag to smack my head. Sigh.

T.A.Chase said...

lol...I think about writing all the time and I tend to be writing all the time, even if it's just in my head. That's why I carry a notebook with me every where I go. never know when inspiration will strike. :)

I hope you feel better soon, Sherrill.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Jenna, you've given yet more proof of our being kindred spirits. I've tripped up the stairs before... heck, I've tripped over nothing and knocked myself pretty badly. LOL

TA, I carry a notebook, too. Especially when my critique partner and I are out together, you never know when the urge to brainstorm an idea will hit us. :)

Paige, I'm so jealous! I hope you had a great time at RT!

Anonymous said...

Sherrill, I think about writing a lot. Not constantly, mainly because my day job involves a lot of writing as well. Usually, I think about writing when I'm not, or right before I go to sleep scenes will come to me or I'll be able to work out a problem I've been having with the characters. Also, since I ride public transit to work, I sometimes just stare out the window and day dream about my book.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Nancy, that's the one plus to public transportation--you don't have to worry about driving and so you can devote your mind to writing. :)

Landra Douglas said...

Sherrill, it is funny you mention the Iron Door. I, too, live in Tucson and do most of my writing on the weekends on their patio. Best cranberry turkey sandwiches, german potato salad, and view EVER! We should do lunch up there sometime.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Well, Bridget, we made it up there today (Wednesday), only to find out they're not open on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I was looking forward to patio dining, too. Bummer.