Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Day 1 Of The Road Trips

My sister came to visit almost two weeks ago now. The day after she arrived, we drove up to Sedona for a couple of days. I thought I'd share some of the photos we took over the 10 days she was here.

On the way up to Sedona, we stopped by Montezuma's Castle in Camp Verde. This site was home of a band of Sinagua Indians (and had nothing to do with Montezuma). It was a five story, 22-room structure built into a recess in a limestone cliff. The Sinagua reached their homes by a series of ladders from the floor of the canyon--take a look at the picture below. Can you imagine? I'm thinking about the women who had children. How did she get them up and down, especially if she had more than one that was, say, under five years old? I guess they learned to climb ladders as soon as they learned to walk!

There's also a not-so-well preserved cliff dwelling beside Montezuma's Castle:

And in their "front yard", they had Beaver Creek:

Then, finally, we made it into Sedona. This is one of my favorite places--one I could easily go to as often as possible!


Stay tuned this week for more pictures from the beautiful state of Arizona!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures. Wish we had made it out there in April. That is some pretty cool stuff. Could you imagine carving your home out of rocks?!? Oy.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Yeah, Jenna, I wish we'd had time. It's a really cool place. :)

Anonymous said...

Those are nice pictures. Reminds me a bit of Mesa Verde in Colorado. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to more of them this week.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks, Nancy. We had a good time, even if my sister and I were fighting bronchitis most of the time.

smr said...

Beautiful country out there -- enjoyed the pics. It feels like AZ here yesterday and today. Oy -- Pennsylvania weather. Frost last Weds. (34 degrees!), 70s and 80s (and now 90s) started two days after the frost. Did I mention we don't have air conditioning (yet)? This is the start of our 3rd summer w/o it, but I don't think I'm gonna make it all the way through w/o new central air. ~wilting~ Loving the heat, but it sure makes me even lazier than usual!

Sherrill Quinn said...

Su! I'm still holding a spot here for you. :)

Kate, I expect you and Jenna to get back down here--to the southern part of the state--when you can spend more time. *G*

For The Trees said...

Damn, Sherrill...you WOULD post pictures of stuff I'd love to see again! It's such a beautiful place, all over. Next time go up to Payson and the Mogollon Rim...take pictures of the pines and vistas!

Still, The Castle is one where I went several times. Love it there.

Sedona has always sung to me. Lotsa power points where you can get really quiet, hear yourself think. Just wish it wasn't so damn expensive to stay there...

Sherrill Quinn said...

Forrest, I love Sedona, too. If you couldn't tell. LOL