Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Praetorians: Discovery

Due out May 19th at New Concepts Publishing.


This is the first in what I hope is a four-part series, starting with Max Didion and Catriona Devane.

It's the year 2070. A secretive scientific/political/military group, operating in a hidden facility under the Sonoran Desert, has created hybrid human/animal warriors to protect their Chosen Ones--humans with telepathic and telekinetic abilities who are being placed in positions of power around the world.

Max is the captain of the elite security team that protects the facility. Cat, an undercover reporter with a talent for getting in trouble, becomes his newest priority. Here's a short excerpt (ADULT content):

“Let me go, Max.” She made her voice as firm as she could, which was difficult considering that, with him staring at her with lust slowly filling his gaze, all she wanted was for him to leave her tied up and force pleasure on her more than willing body.

He pushed away from the door and came over to her. Sitting beside her, his hip pressing against hers, he leaned over. His big hands planted on either side of her, he bent to her mouth and took it in a hard kiss.

She arched against him. When he jumped up as if he’d been shocked, she blinked in surprise.

“You’re not going to distract me, little cat.” He pulled up a straight-backed chair from a nearby table and settled into it next to the bed. Bending over, he untied and removed his boots. He took off his socks and dropped them on the floor. Stretching his long legs out in front of him, he laced his fingers together on his flat stomach. “You still have some explaining to do.”

She dragged her gaze from his big feet, up his long legs, snagging on the bulge at his groin. His cock rode long and thick along one thigh, growing thicker even as she watched.

He rubbed one hand along his stomach, then popped open the button on the waistband of his fatigues. “Talk to me, Cat.” His voice, deeply dark, brought her attention to his face. When she remained stubbornly silent, he said, “Maybe this will help. I know you’re a reporter. I know you have more knowledge than you should have about The Foundation, its purpose, and those who live here. I know, when you first came here, you already knew Harris was missing.”

Still, she said nothing. He was right, after all.

“Who are you? Is Catriona really your name?”

“Yes. Catriona Devane.”

His eyes sharpened. A flicker of recognition went through them, but all he said was, “Ahh. Not Waggoner, then.”

She pressed her lips together. There was no reason not to tell him. If he was going to harm her, he could have done it days ago. Besides, she had to trust someone. From her dealings with Max, she knew him to be stubborn as hell but with a sense of honor that went bone-deep. “Waggoner is my mom’s maiden name.”

He gave a nod, studying her with dark, hot eyes. “Who’s your contact?”

“I don’t know.” When he shifted in his chair and leaned toward her, she stuck her chin up. “I’m telling you the truth. I don’t know.”

“Male or female?”

“Male. I think.” At his raised eyebrow, she added, “He always disguised his voice.”

Max looked skeptical. “And you’ve had no contact with him since you’ve been here?”

She shook her head. “Only via typed notes.”

He drew in a breath and blew it out through his nose, a loud expulsion of air that spoke volumes about the level of his aggravation. “Why did he contact you?”

“I haven’t figured that out yet.”

Pursing his lips, he leaned his elbows on his knees.

She wiggled a little on the bed and his eyes grew hotter. “He either wants me to expose The Foundation,” she said breathlessly, “or he wants to expose me. I can’t figure out why someone would want to do the latter, so I’m pretty sure he expects me to blow the lid on this place.”

He dragged one finger across the v-neck of her t-shirt, then dipped it between her breasts. “I can think of a few reasons why someone would want to expose you, honey.”

Copyright ©2006 Sherrill Quinn. All Rights Reserved.


So put this on your to-be-bought list and, on Friday, go get it!

My sister and a friend are in town for the next week and a half. I'm so excited she's here! We're leaving this morning for Sedona for 2 days--I'll be back on the blog-tour on Saturday.

4 comments:

Shelley Munro said...

Great excerpt! and I love your cover. NCP have some wonderful covers.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks, Shelley. And I love my cover, too. :)

Anonymous said...

I just purchased The Praetorians from NCP. I loved it! I hope you continue the series!

Sherrill Quinn said...

Anonymous, whoever you are--thank you!! I absolutely plan to continue the series. :)