Friday, May 12, 2006

Relativity

I (sort of) remember a line from a movie (I think it was Deep Blue Sea--Ice Cube's character speaking) regarding Einstein's Theory of Relavity: "You put you hand on hot pan, a minute feels like an hour. You put your hand on a hot woman, an hour feels like a minute."


What has me thinking about this? I received a request from a reviewer at Romance Junkies to review The Praetorians: Discovery. This is the second time a reviewer has contacted me personally asking to review one of my books. (The other one was from Love Romances for Careful Wishes.) And while I got to thinking that maybe that made me special (or maybe they just want to read books for free!), I realized that I've been published for only two and a half months.


My first book, Redemption--part of the Zodiac: Pisces duet at Liquid Silver Books--came out on February 20th. Praetorians, my fifth book, will be out almost 3 months to the day of my first.


It feels like a lot more time has passed than just two and a half months. Hence me thinking about Einstein's Theory of Relativity.


What sorts of things have seemed to slow or speed up time for you?


(Oh, and Wednesday? A fluke. A complete fluke. Yesterday I managed 7 pages (roughly 1,750 words) on Beyond the Beast. I think I burned myself out Wednesday but, man, was it good while it lasted! And I only did another 200 words on Obsidian's Flame, for a total of 1,950 words for the day. That's not too shabby, but nothing close to what I did on Wednesday.)

6 comments:

Faltenin said...

Time...

Watching the clock hand turn at school, an minute seems like an hour.

Watching the watch hand tick down minutes before she arrives, every second seems an hour.

The scary one? Look at kids you've held as babies, now going out with boyfriends / girlfriends. A dozen years in a eyeflick?

T.A.Chase said...

Being with someone for what you know will be the last time. (because you both have to chase dreams that can't/don't involve the other person) You want to slow time down so you can memorize every inch of his face, but fate has another plan and time speeds by.

congrats on the request. It makes you special. :)

Anonymous said...

Being with the special person and time just seems to fly, no matter how much we try to make it slow down.

Anonymous said...

February 24 - 25...longest time of my life and yet it went by too fast. I wanted to stop time, halt it. And I remember every damn hour of that day. Every. Hour. Sigh.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Fal, my youngest nephew just turned 19. Nineteen. The oldest is 28. He's only 2 years away from being 30! You're partially right, except for the dozen years part. It's more like two+ dozen years gone in an eyeflick...

T.A. & Nancy, looks like you were thinking the same thing. :)

Kate: You're so good. "Footsteps through wet, heavy sand." I like it! :)

Sherrill Quinn said...

{{{Jenna}}} That's all I got. Just... lots and lots of {{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}