Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Critique Groups

I have the greatest critique group in the world--Suz, Alison, Sara and Jane. It's so great to be able to meet every other Monday with these four ladies and know they not only appreciate my talent, but they will in friendship and with complete honesty let me know where I can improve my story and areas they think work especially well.

Yesterday we went over chapter three of Beyond the Beast. I've got areas to tighten, areas to expand. But, according to them, this story that's causing me so much trouble is working. And working well.

I'm now in Chapter Six and it's starting to come a little bit easier. Yay!

Another thing that's great about this group? They know I'm crunching to get this done. Where we usually critique one chapter every other week, they've all told me to send them whatever I have whenever I have it ready.

Putting a group of women together is a crap shoot. They can be catty and jealous of each other's success, or they can be supportive and encouraging. I lucked out. I got supportive and encouraging.

I love these girls. I really, really love them!


Hey! Anna J. Evans is blogging over at Torrid today. Go on over and say hi.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sherrill, Its great that you have such a supportive critique group. I no longer have an in-person critique group - haven't for years. And I've noticed that it really affects my production, because I no longer have that deadline of having a chapter or pages done to take to the group. While I do have a great on-line set of gals to go to when I need it, it isn't the same as in person.

Sherrill Quinn said...

This is the first time I've had an in-person critique group, having only had on-line ones for years. You're right--the in-person ones really force productivity, even if it's only a few pages versus an entire chapter. And there's something about getting together and getting the feedback face-to-face. I feel really lucky to have this group, as well as the ones who are still available on-line when I need more. :)

T.A.Chase said...

Your CG sounds great, Sherrill. I'm not sure I'd be able to deal with a group of people. The one CP I've got has been great and isn't afraid to tell me when I've gone off-track or screwed something up...lol.

Awesome that they think your story's working. Keep plugging away. :)

Sherrill Quinn said...

The benefit to a group versus just one CP, T.A., is that they tend to pick up on different things (based on their strengths), and sometimes all on the same thing if I've been particularly bad. :)

And you know your CP wouldn't be doing the job right if he/she didn't tell you when you've screwed up. LOL

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks, Kate. And yes, ma'am. I just had a short power nap and I'm raring to go again. :)