Monday, May 22, 2006

Fire Season Is Here

We've got a wildfire burning on the northwest side of town. People can look outside and see the fire running up the ridge. Last night it was at about 50 acres, but with winds expected gusting up to 25 mph, they're anticipating the fire will easily be over 100 acres by mid-morning. Thankfully the wind is blowing from the south/southwest, so it's actually blowing the fire up the ridge instead of down toward town. They've got two hot shot crews there now, and another on the way. Air tankers are supposed to come in this morning. They suspect the cause of the fire is from a lightening strike.

There's also a wildfire burning near Safford, further south. As of last night, only about 50 acres had burned.

Thankfully, neither of these fires is threatening where I live. :)

Almost three years ago a wildfire (the Aspen fire) raged through Mt. Lemmon, burning 80,000 acres (including pretty much the entire town of Summerhaven--cabins and businesses) before it was put out. It also crept over the western side of the mountains. At the time, I live on the northwest side and watched the fire from my driveway. Scary stuff. The mountain is starting to come back alive, but I remember driving up about 6 months after the fire. The landscape looked like something out of a science fiction movie--completely desolate.

I'm still feeling crappy--thinkin' I've got the beginnings of bronchitis. I"ll be calling my doctor this morning--hopefully she'll call me in a scrip for antibiotics and not make me go into the office. We'll see.

Have a good day, y'all!

8 comments:

Maya Reynolds said...

Sorry to hear you're feeling badly, Sherrill.

Sending good wishes your way.

Regards,

Maya

P.S. My word verification is "flick." How cool is that?

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks, Maya. I need all the good wishes I can get. :)

Kate, me too. I need all the drugs I can get, too. LOL

Anonymous said...

Sherrill,

Hope you feel better soon. It's no fun being sick. Glad the fires are not near you.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks, Nancy. I am actually feeling better this evening--haven't had a fever all day, which is good.

Anonymous said...

Dang I thought I had commented!

Hope you start to feel better when the drugs kick in. Nothing sucks like being sick and I'm sure any smoke drifting your way isn't helping.

Feel better bud! {{{hugs}}}

Sherrill Quinn said...

Well, interestingly enough, my doctor never called me back, but... that's okay. I haven't run a fever all day and haven't been coughing as much. Now I'm just really congested. Some Afrin up my nose and I'll be able to sleep tonight. Then tomorrow, no matter how I feel, I'm taking my sister and her friend out to do something. They didn't come all this way just to sit around my apartment.

For The Trees said...

Hey! Take your sister out for BarBeCue!! Run up the mountain and hang some weinies out the window as you zip along from desert drab to cool conifer! Just watch out for falling trees!

And forget the Afrin. Some hearty smoke will clear your sinuses in a heartbeat! Plus your sneezes will help beat back the flames!

I'm SO glad I don't live there any more. To see Summerhaven scorched would be too much. Yeah, yeah, I KNOW it's all part of the Natural Cycle of fire and reforestation, but damn. Summerhaven. When I saw that on the news I felt a lot of sadness.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Well, Forrest, unfortunately, the Aspen Fire was started by a person--not sure it can be considered part of the Natural Cycle when it's caused by man (versus a lightening strike, for example). :(