Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Writer's Angst

Okay, so I'm in the midst of this rewrite, yes? I have 21,000 words and I'm clicking along. Then I think, "I've boxed my heroine into a corner." Here's why: She has issues because of abandonment by her father and an abusive stepfather. She doesn't trust any man enough to really let him close to her. So, issues with sex. She has it, but usually doesn't get emotionally involved, because that's when she can get hurt. On top of that, her ex-boss is a werewolf and wants to make her one, too, so she can have his puppies, er, babies. Her friend puts her in touch with his cousin, the hero, who, unbeknownst to the heroine, is also a werewolf. When she finds out, after they've had sex the first time, well, she's not a happy camper. Her goal: find a way to defeat the werewolf. (The first one, not the hero.) Her motivation: she doesn't want to be a breeder. Her conflict: She falls in love with a werewolf. My problem is, I can't figure out how to piece it all together. How do I get her to get her act together?

And let's not talk about the hero. Okay, since you insist, let's. His primary goal: to be left alone; secondary goal: to help the heroine, initially so he can get her out of his hair, then because he's drawn to her and as the hero can't do anything except help her. His motivation: no idea. His conflict: no idea. sigh My Alpha werewolf is turning into a wimp right before my eyes.

thunk That was my head hitting my desk. It's times like these when that little voice inside me starts going on about what a hack I am, I don't have a clue how to write, and why do I even bother? I gave myself yesterday afternoon and evening to angst over it. Today, once I get back from a doctor's appointment and errands, I'm going to do something about it. I'm pulling out Deb Dixon's GMC (for the twentieth time), re-reading notes of the two classes I'm taking this month, and I am going to chart this out. I'm not answering the phone, I'm not turning on the TV and, if I can restrain myself, I'm not checking emails until I am done.

I'm a good writer. I have a beautiful book cover with a reputable electronic publishing company for a novella that comes out next year. I'll have at least one short story out next year. I can do it. I can.

Now, if I can just get my characters to cooperate...

No comments: