Saturday, October 22, 2005

Rubbing Elbows With Success

My local RWA chapter is hosting Christie Ridgway at our meeting today. Last night a small group of us got together and had dinner with her. Christie has over 20 books out on the market. I also sat near one of our chapter members, Roz Denny Fox, who has over 30 published books to her credit.

It was interesting and inspiring, sitting near these two ladies. Christie and I talked a little about graphical standards and the definition of romance (Christie was on the committee to review and recommend direction on graphical standards). She was very open and welcoming of erotic romance and indicated that everyone on that committee was as well. The recommendation they made to the incoming Board was, basically, to live and let live. Embrace erotic romance because it is here to stay. It is a fast-growing segment of the romance market.

Roz and I talked about blogging. Her editor wants her to have a blog. Roz doesn't want one. With four books coming out in 2006, I can agree with her that she doesn't have time. Especially since she is "guest" blogger on at least two sites. My recommendation: on her website, point her fans to those websites if they want to read her blog ramblings.

I plan to pay particular attention at our meeting today. (Not that I don't ordinarily!) Even though Christie doesn't write erotic romance, she writes romance. I can learn a lot from her.

And, as I've said here more than once, a big part of being a writer is being a learner.

No comments: