Thursday, October 13, 2005

Writer's Angst, continued...

... because, you know, you can't angst in just one day.

I spent roughly 8 hours yesterday re-establishing the GMC for my major characters. I think I've just about got it. Plus, I worked out a sequence of scenes to support the story. I have more work to do scene-wise, but I'm feeling better. I have a much better understanding of my characters and what makes them tick. The feel of this book is already much different than the first draft. About the only things that stayed the same were the characters and setting.

But that just supports what I've been saying all along. Being a writer is first and foremost about being a learner. Learn what works, and what doesn't. Keep what works, throw out all the rest. It's just a damned shame that 45,000 words are going into the crapper. (Figuratively speaking. I can't ever bear to really throw out something I've written. I just might be able to use some of it at some other time.) But to make this book what it needs to be, what it should be, I've gotta start from scratch.

Today is a brand new day. Today is the day I begin to re-write the book. As long as my Muse doesn't fail me.

No comments: