Friday, October 14, 2005

Electronic Publishing Versus Print Publishing

Reading Miss Snark's blog today, I was struck by the tone in the post regarding electronic publishing (e-publishing, or e-pub). Most (if not all) e-pubs first publish a book in electronic format (PDF, HTML or other medium). If the book is popular enough, they will make it available in print format via Print On Demand (POD).

Regarding POD, Miss Snark had this to say: "...if someone tells me they've been published by a small house that uses POD, the burden of proof for "is it crap" shifts to them. I assume it is; you have to prove otherwise."

When I first read this, I thought, Holy ****! I'm breaking into the industry via electronic publishing. It's hard enough to prove to an agent or a publisher that I don't write crap when I'm not published; now, even though I'm published, I STILL have to prove I don't write crap?! Oy vey!

Then, while I was trying not to hyperventilate, some names hit me: Angela Knight. Mary Janice Davidson. Kate Douglas. These are all authors who either got their start in e-pubs or have e-pubs out there, and now are published with the big NY print houses. So, while I would never say that Miss Snark doesn't know what she's talking about, at least I know that making a successful shift from e-pub to non-POD print pub can be done.

There are some e-pubs out there that I believe wouldn't do my career any good at all (and shall remain nameless). But there are legitimate, successful e-pubs that would look mighty good on my resume. Those are the ones I'm targeting, because to be published by them means you're not writing crap.

How do I weed out the great, the good and the bad e-pubs? By being a consumer. I purchase books from them and read them. If I like the author's style and there are no typos or other errors, the book "makes sense" (i.e., that darned dreaded GMC has been figured out logically), then it's an e-pub I'm interested in. If not... cross them off my list (both the author and the publisher).

Now I'm off to write my 2,000 words for today. More, if my Muse is in the house.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are more names out there now: Lora Leigh, Shiloh Walker, heck - Jaid Black!! They're scared of us, Sherrill. Ebook authors are taking the publishing world by storm.

Attitudes like that make me want to growl (well and do some rude hand gestures). It's not like all paperbacks are fantastic. There are many a book that have dented my drywall.

Keep writing - because nothing's more satisfied then blowing a raspberry with a childish "So There!" afterwards. Well...at least for me. :)

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks, gals. Here's to hoping we all will be able to blow some raspberries. :)