Tuesday, April 18, 2006

This Has Never Happened To Me Before...

... and I'm not quite sure how to feel about it. On one hand, I'm patting myself on the back. On the other, I'm a bit anxious about changes that may have been made that I had no say in.

What happened? you ask. I received an email from the editor assigned to me for The Praetorians: Discovery, my May 19th release with New Concepts Publishing. (This is the one where the hero has his DNA spliced with that of a cougar, hence my cougar pic.) In it she wrote: 'Your story is fast-paced and easy to follow. The characters and dialogue work well.' Then she asked a question about one small thing, and continued that once I'd responded, she'd insert that information into the text and send it onto the Senior Editor for publication.

I haven't seen the edits, and apparently I won't be.

So, as I said, while I'm quite pleased that she apparently only found minor, minor changes (i.e., spelling, punctuation, grammar), there is the possibility she changed something I don't want changed.

I'll be sending off an email to the Senior Editor to check, just as soon as I figure out how to be tactful enough that I don't sound like I'm questioning the editor's ability to do the job.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should get a copy of the edited version, Sherrill. That's weird she won't show you a final version. This is your story. Stand up for it.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Yes, well, I'm going to. The email's being drafted right now...

Sherrill Quinn said...

You're so right, Emma. Hence the email. :)

For The Trees said...

I think you're finding that not all publishers play on the same field. You need to stand up for yourself, because this is about your standards for being a writer. I certainly would raise a stink. Just because you're "new" doesn't make you a pushover.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Anonymous said...

I echo what's already been said. You have a right to see your copy edited material before it goes out to the world.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks for the input, Nancy & Forrest. I sent an email to the editor and asked to see what she submitted to the senior editor for publication. She hasn't responded yet... we'll see. :)

Sherrill Quinn said...

Well, Chey, she still hasn't responded. I'll give her another day, then I'm going to the senior editor anyway, I guess.

T.A.Chase said...

Sherrill, good for you. I haven't done any edits yet, but I know I'd be nervous about not getting to see what the editor did.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that they don't hassle you about it. :)

Yay for you on not having major edits to do though.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Paige: Yep. It doesn't feel right, not seeing the edited version. If she doesn't respond to my email by this evening, I'll send an email to the senior editor.

T.A.: I'm still an introvert at heart and, while I can be assertive, I usually have to work myself up to it. Which is why it's taken a couple of days from the original email for me to ask to see it. (sigh)

Tiffany: Thanks! I hope I hear back soon, too. This is driving me nuts.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Okay, well she sent it to me, and other than a few minor things that I saw, the story is intact. Phew!

Thank you all for your advice and support in this. :)