Sunday, April 23, 2006

Desert Dreams

I had a great time at the conference--more so in meeting Kate and Jenna than in sitting through the conference. LOL On Friday we drove up to Sedona and spent about 2 hours there (not nearly enough time), but just getting out of the car and looking at the red rock formations is relaxing. And it never hurts getting out in the sun, anyway.

I heard a lot of great stuff at the conference--some things I knew already, some I didn't. The biggest detriment to paying attention, however, were the chairs. Talk about having a numb bum. Oy. After about 10 minutes (I'm not kidding--they were THAT uncomforable) all I could think of was when the darned thing would be over so I could get my poor behind off the chair. (We actually left the conference early. Jenny Crusie and Bob Mayer were speaking this morning from 9-11; we left at about 9:15 or 9:20. Just couldn't do it to my poor abused derriere any more.)

Plus, for me, the beds weren't comfortable at all. Too, too hard. The first two nights I barely slept, although I think that was mostly nerves over making a pitch to the St. Martins editor. Last night I slept better, although when I got up my hips and back hurt. And still do. Can't wait to get into my own bed tonight. *sigh* There's no place like home.

The highlight of the conference: Monique Patterson at St. Martins asked me for a full manuscript after I pitched my werewolf story. And, because I had time to pitch another idea (with nothing plotted out, no GMC figured out, and only a bare sketch in my mind of the characters), I've got the green light to send 3 chapters and synopsis of that when I get them done. Which makes any discomfort I had over the last 3 days completely worth it! *grin*

Needless to say, I'm very excited about this turn of events. And, since I have only three chapters done of the werewolf story, I'm going to be rather scarce over the next several weeks. I hope to be able to continue to blog every day, but I'm not making any promises at this time. I've got to get this story done and polished and submitted ASAP.

And now I'm going to go take a nap for a bit, then unpack and do some dinner preparation for the next week, so I spend less time in the kitchen and therefore more time on my laptop writing, writing, writing.

It's good to be home!

6 comments:

* wallflower * said...

{{{{{Sherrill}}}}} That's wonderful news! So happy for you -- you should be very proud of yourself. :) *patting Sherrill on the back*

T.A.Chase said...

Woo-hoo! Great news, Sherrill. Good luck and we'll understand if we don't see you around for a while.

Maya Reynolds said...

Sherrill: Congratulations!!! Good job on pitching more than one project.

Now get writing.

[[Hugs]]

Faltenin said...

yep. *grin*

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks for the pat on the back, Su. I'm tickled about it--now, as long as the words come...

Sherrill Quinn said...

T.A.--thanks!

Maya--I may need a kick in the behind every now and again. But I'm writing! So no kicking right now, 'kay? :)

Fal, talk about cagey. Yep... what? What are you 'yepping' to?