Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Arizona Sonora Desert Museum

Someone on a blog a few days ago was talking about going to a zoo. I'd responded that I won't go to zoos anymore, and let me tell you why.

Several years ago, my sister wanted to go to the Cleveland Zoo. Neither one of us had ever been there, and we hadn't been to a zoo since we were kids. So, we got in the car and drove up. When we walked in, to the left was the elephant pen. There were three elephants gathered near a building that had a large door (like a garage door for a motor home storage unit, only bigger). One of the elephants stood there, rocking back and forth, banging her forehead against the door. I don't know why she was doing it, but it broke my heart.

On we went, looking at the various animals, many of which I'm sure I'll never get to see in the wild. It was when we arrived at the silverback gorilla exhibit that I made my decision to never go to a typical zoo again. There was a large gorilla at the front of the exhibit, sitting there with his fingers and toes wrapped around the fencing (fencing in a grid-like pattern, not up and down bars), staring at the humans staring at him. He had the saddest expression on his face, in his eyes... I almost started crying right there. Never again, I said to my sister. Never. Again.










Then I visited southern Arizona and discovered the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum. This place is set up to look much more natural. The animals there are native to the Sonoran Desert, as the name suggests (and as you'll see from the various pictures I have here--the cougar on the left, a bobcat on the right). But the "pens" seem incredibly natural and I don't have as much of a sense that these animals are in captivity, although of course I know they are. But I can fool myself much more easily than I can at a traditional zoo.









Here are two javelinas (pronounced 'have-a-leena') on the left, and a big horn sheep on the right.

There are two places where it's quite obvious the animals are held there forcibly. The reptile habitat, where snakes and lizards are held in aquariums. (Thank you for that!) The first time I went there, I alerted one of the employees to an escape attempt by one of the snakes--I saw the tip of his tail just as he exited from the top of the glass enclosure. I don't remember what kind of snake it was. I don't remember it as being one of the poisonous variety, but it could have been. But, still, it was a snake and he was loose. That's enough for me!



(Here we have a Mexican gray wolf, an ocelot, and a coyote.)

The other place where it's obvious this is a zoo is the riparian area. Of course the birds are in large cages so they can't fly away. (insert sad face here) But at least they're not looking at me with big, sad eyes.

If you're ever in southern Arizona, the Sonora Desert Museum is one place you don't want to miss!

10 comments:

T.A.Chase said...

This museum sounds like an awesome place to check out, Sherrill. :)

Sherrill Quinn said...

It is, T.A. My sister's coming out for a visit in May, and the Desert Museum is on our list of places to go. Of course, we'll have to get out there as soon as the place opens (8:30) because once it starts getting hot, the animals take cover and you end up not seeing very much except their habitats.

Stacia said...

There's an ad over here for an international animal rescue group that features bears who were driven insane by captivity, or bears being forced to "dance" in thrid world countries. It is absolutely heartbreaking.

I agree about zoos. I have been to them, and we went to a small one right before we left FL (but it was mostly birds and spider monkeys, so we didn't feel so bad about it) but I do get uncomfortable and don't really enjoy it.

Although I admit I LOVE the big cats.

Sherrill Quinn said...

I think that animals in zoos in the U.S. are treated really well--when they're not it's the exception. I'm not so sure about other countries, and third world countries seem to have a whole 'nother philosophy about animal and human rights.

Faltenin said...

I have trouble believig that you're having the Dream Team over in AZ and you're going to spend your time there.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Oh, no, Fal. I'll be up in Scottsdale as part of the Dream Team. Don't you worry 'bout that! The desert museum will wait until my sister comes in May.

Anonymous said...

The Dream Team?

You're so dreamy, Fal.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Well, Jenna, it all depends on what kind of Dream Team he's talking about. If it's the movie with Michael Keaton, Peter Boyle and Christopher Lloyd... well, they were all inmates at an insane asylum.

Hmm. Might actually kinda fit us...

For The Trees said...

When we lived in Tucson, Sherry wanted to go to the Desert Museum all the time. I loved the hummingbird exhibit, they'd fly right up to your face! Really able to see them up close and personal.

I miss the hiking trail just across from the entrance. I'd park and walk up the "peak" of the Tucson Mountains, and stand there, aware that I couldn't hike to the top of the Catalinas, but I COULD hike to the top of at least ONE mountain.

Sherrill, I'm gonna be out for a while. I'm in the midst of rewriting my story Artesia, and won't be coming by for a while. Enjoy your writers' conference and I'll be back when I can.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Best of luck with your writing, Forrest!!