Wednesday, April 05, 2006

My Newest Cover

Just got it last night from the owner/editorial director of Amber Quill Press -- my cover for The Claiming:


Meet Rhys Valorian, exiled vampire prince from the planet Nosfer. Rhys is in a bit of a bind, literally. You see, his ex-lover, Kassinda Marjani, is hauling him into the authorities on trumped-up bioweapons smuggling charges. She's desperate to free her brother from prison. But Rhys isn't too keen on taking his place. When they crashland on a barbaric planet where men show their love for their women by pleasuring them wherever and whenever they want, Rhys knows it's time to make his move and claim his woman.

Here's an unedited excerpt:

Rhys bit back a grin as her eyes flared with anger. She was sassy, his Kass. Always had been, even when everyone else around him was fawning over him with simpering and snivelings of ‘prince this’ and ‘prince that.’

An exiled royal-turned-smugger was no prince. Regardless of his birthright.

“Get. These. Off. Me.” She struggled in his grip, even going so far as to kick him on his boot-covered shin.

By the gods, she was entrancing. Strong, determined, sometimes even foolhardy. Her pulse beat rapidly at the base of her throat, enticing him with her heat, her very essence. While he had reversed the situation and now held her as his captive, he was like a fly in her web. If he wasn’t careful, she’d have him for dinner.

But what a way to go.

He remembered how she felt in his arms, underneath his body, wrapped around his cock. “Do you still make those little mewling noises when you come, ahya?” he asked, lust making his voice deep and raspy.

When she went to kick him again, he lifted her off the floor by her manacled wrists, dangling her so her face was level with his. When her knee lunged toward his groin, he blocked it with his thigh and then trapped her leg between his. “Uh-uh-uh,” he admonished, giving her a little shake.

He couldn’t hold back the grin as she sputtered and twisted in his grasp.

She was like a frightened kitten, all arched body and spitting fury. It made him want to stroke her into calmness. He sent a gentling thought her way and felt her stiffen against him.

“Don’t even try your damned Nosfer mojo on me,” she hissed, brown eyes glittering with anger. “I didn’t like it five years ago; I don’t like it now.”

“It frightened you five years ago, ahya,” he said, the hurt of her rejection flaring as hotly as if the rebuff had happened mere moments ago. “Why are you so afraid to share your mind with me?”

Renewing her struggles, she fought against him until she was panting heavily and sweat trickled the side of her face. “My mind is my own,” she gritted. With a small grunt, she tried to thwack him with the manacles.

He tightened his grip, knowing he had merely to wait her out. She would tire and have no choice but to give up this fight. She gave it her all, twisting in his arms, kicking out with her free leg.

The sight of her passionate anger ramped up his own arousal. His cock grew hot and heavy, throbbing with insistent intent behind the placket of his pants. He wanted to kiss the frustration and distrust off her face, smooth his thumbs over her stubborn chin and full, sensual lips.

With the mood she was in, though, she’d most likely bite him.

If there was going to be any biting being done, he’d be the one doing it. And it wouldn’t be in anger.

Copyright ©2006 Sherrill Quinn. All Rights Reserved.


Coming from Amber Quill Press in June!

17 comments:

T.A.Chase said...

Great cover, Sherrill and the book sounds awesome. :)

Anonymous said...

Sherrill,

Awesome cover. I wouldn't mind meeting this guy in a dark alley :)

I can't wait to read this one too. Darn it, girl, you're making my tbr pile get bigger, but that's a good thing.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks, T.A. I've been really lucky so far with my cover artists. Whoever did this one did a terrific job. Even made Rhys's eyes silver, which I have them do when his emotions are aroused (or he is!).

Sherrill Quinn said...

Hey, Nancy. Thanks, girlfriend. And I live to serve, you know that. *G*

Sherrill Quinn said...

Hey, Tiffany. Thanks for stopping by.

Oh, yeah, Rhys is sexy, all right. Grrrrrr.

T.A.Chase said...

I'm nervous about what my cover for Here Be Dragons is going to look like. I sent the artist coordinator at LId very specific things that I'd like, but we'll have to see.

You have been lucky. You've gotten some wonderful covers so far.

Anonymous said...

Sexy cover! You know what to do with it. *taps foot impatiently*

Sherrill Quinn said...

T.A., I don't think you have to worry. Loose Id has some gorgeous sexy covers. :)

Sherrill Quinn said...

It's on its way, Jenna. :)

Sherrill Quinn said...

Emma, you doll. :)

Leesa said...

Where do you get your "works in progress" thing to the side. I know it has nothing to do with the post, but I am curious.

T.A.Chase said...

Loose-Id does have some great covers. That's one of the reasons I submitted HBD to them besides the fact that I like a lot of the authors they have there. And they were willing to look at m/m stuff.

Faltenin said...

Err... I'm not too sure about the cover, myself. But maybe that's just a heterosexual male reaction...

And then, I don't judge a book by it's cover!

(yes, Fal is ALWAYS honest)

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks for stopping by, Leesa! And the answer to your question is in the comments at your blog. :)

Sherrill Quinn said...

T.A., I think you'll find other publishers (epubs, anyway) are opening up to m/m. Amber Quill just sent out a call for submissions to their authors (it goes out with a "theme" with 5 slots available with each theme), and one of the themes was m/m. Like I've said before, the popularity of m/m romances is on the rise with women.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Fal, since the majority of these are geared toward women, I guess it's okay that the cover doesn't do anything for you. :) And I want you to always be honest, babe. Always.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks, Chey. It was a lot of fun to write. Unlike the one I'm working on that I'll be pitching to St. Martins. I don't know what the problem is, but it's like slogging through mud.