Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Why?

Why do we do it?

Sit in a chair behind the computer until our bums go numb.

Type or write words until our fingers and wrists hurt.

Get up at 3 a.m. because the idea just won't go away.

Why?

To paraphrase (i.e., misquote) Descartes, "I write, therefore I am."

I write because it's a driving force within me. I write romance because I'm a hopeful romantic and love the happily ever after because it seems to happen so rarely in real life. I write erotic romance because... well, what's better than wild monkey sex between a sassy heroine and a hunky, Alpha hero?

Although, to be honest, I have written NOTHING in the last three days. Mainly because I've been sick. Just a cold, but it hit me hard. I'm fatigued and have an ever present headache from blowing my nose and sniffing/snorting what won't blow out. (I know, TMI. But you can't tell me you don't do the same thing!)

But I have to get back in the chair, because I've got a short story I'm working on to submit to WCP Torrid for their Christmas anthology, plus a novel--yep, not a novella, but a novel--for Liquid Silver. It's a sequel to the novella that comes out in 13 days. Whether I can get back in the groove depends on how well I sleep tonight. Nyquil, here I come!

6 comments:

Maya Reynolds said...

Cin: Zicam and hot showers.

As a person who battles a mountain cedar allergy every February and October, I know whereof I speak.

Hope you'll feel better soon.

smr said...

{{{{{Sherrill}}}}} feel better soon! Sorry I haven't visited blogs recently -- between Life, trouble accessing blogs on the 'Net, and just plain ol' restraint on my part, I haven't been flitting around the Internet as much lately. Get lots of rest and lots of liquids in you! ~Su

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks, Maya. I'm off to the store this morning to get more Nyquil and oj. I'll try some Zicam, too.

Su, I don't mind you not coming by as much as long as I know you're writing, or trying to. :) I know how that goes!

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks, Kate! Between blowing my nose every 5 minutes and having zero energy to do much more than get up to get more liquid, I'm not doing a whole lot. :)

Anonymous said...

Get better!

Just like Frankie said: Relax

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks, Jenna. I just got back from the grocery store--bought some oj and Zicam and a few other things. And I'm beat. Looks like it's another veg day. :)