Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Characters Should Have Jobs

Just as in real life, characters in fiction need jobs. They need something to do besides sit around, eat bonbons and worry about their troubles. Unless they're independently wealthy (which happens sometimes) or landed gentry (which also happens sometimes), they need a visible means of supporting themselves. Even if what they do is not quite on the up-and-up, they still have to pay bills and eat.

How they spend their time, even off camera (outside of the story), goes to what's at the heart of all fiction: a character's desire. What he wants, and what he's willing to do to get it. Jobs of all types can add nuance and complication. If the hero is a bartender, what's it like for him? Does he wish he were doing something else? If so, what? Does he have hobbies competing for his time and attention?

Jobs also give characters a reason to be or not be at certain places at certain times. And in some books, a character's job may take center stage, molding the character's conflicts and tensions.

When I begin fleshing out a story, I have a character interview sheet I use that has all those questions about things I should know about my character, from What color are his eyes to What's his favorite color/food/movie, etc. All of these sorts of questions help shape the character. But to really find out who a character is, I pay close attention to what he does, and why he does it. Let's face it. A character who has to be at the hospital or library or research lab has a life--one the reader can be drawn into. Occupation adds dimension.

Occupation gives purpose. The hero can't just lay around butt-naked all day. Well, he can...


... but he really needs to be more than just a pretty face attached to a muscular body. Really. He does.

Seriously.

He does.


~ ~ ~

I'm over at the NCP blog today, talking about men. What else?!? Come on over!



"Love is... born with the pleasure of looking at each other, it is fed with the necessity of seeing each other, it is concluded with the impossibility of separation." ~Jose Marti

11 comments:

T.A.Chase said...

You're right, Sherrill. Without a job and hobbies, a character is completely flat and uninteresting. :)

Sherrill Quinn said...

Hey, T.A. Hope you have a good day today. :)

smr said...

"...... but he really needs to be more than just a pretty face attached to a muscular body. Really. He does.

Seriously.

He does."

Just keep telling yourself that, Sherrill. Maybe you'll be able to convince both of us! lol

Of course, you're right: having jobs for characters makes the whole story more realistic. One of the first things that pops to mind for me is "time of day." If a character is a bartender, his/her daytime life probably wouldn't start at the crack of dawn since s/he has probably only had a few hours' sleep. I really don't enjoy being so tired for the character! lol

Landra Douglas said...

I agree, Sherrill. Occupation and hobbies add depth to a character.

Often times in real life, men tend to throw their emotion into their jobs; put all their intensity into a days work.

Intensity -- passion -- is what makes life interesting.

Anonymous said...

It's all about bringing the characters to life and a job does that. I often struggle to find jobs for my heroes. It's difficult because, well, they run with guns and not always on the up and up. Sigh.

Ooh Bridget, I like that!

Sherrill Quinn said...

Su: Well, he does, doesn't he? Otherwise he'd be boring. Pretty, but boring. LOL

Bridget: People's identities are so wrapped up in their jobs, but I think men more so than women sometimes.

Jenna, I know what you mean. Actually, now that I think about it, Simon in Atonement didn't have a job. Unless you count being a vampire as a job. But that was only a 13k short story, so I guess it didn't hurt anything...

Sherrill Quinn said...

I think it all depends on the story and how long it is, Emma. I mean, let's face it. Unless it's a cop, or fire fighter, or FBI agent or someone else with an "interesting" job, to detail a scene on the job would probably bore the reader to tears. Depends on the scene, I guess. You can "hot up" a businessman at the office, for sure. LOL

Landra Douglas said...

Sherrill, I thought about this post on my drive into work this morning. They were talking about accountants on the radio and how you just don't see any accountant-slash-firefighter calendars out there... just not that sexy of an occupation.

Although, this IS fiction. Why not start a new thing? :) LOL

Sherrill Quinn said...

Well, I have in my mind's eye a tall, buff (of course) guy with glasses who's a little uncertain of himself, but knows what he wants. I guess more of a Beta male than an Alpha. A guy who could be (would be?) Alpha with the right woman. *G*

What's the saying? It's the quiet ones you have to watch out for.

Angela's Designs said...

This yummy guy on the post. I'll be his sugar momma. ;)

Sherrill Quinn said...

I hear ya on that, Annalee. LOL