Tuesday, December 06, 2005

What A Woman Will Do...

... to look pretty. For the last few years, I've had my hair professionally colored and highlighted. Now that I'm unemployed, I decided to cut that expense by doing it myself. And, I must say, I did a pretty good job.

I didn't always.

The summer after my eighteenth birthday, I wanted to have lighter hair. (I'm a brunette.) So I used a product called Sun-In.

First thing you need to understand is... Sun-In is supposed to be used by people with blonde hair. Not brunettes. So by the end of summer I had lighter hair that was not quite strawberry blonde. It was more orange than that. But not orange-orange, so I didn't look like a freak.

But I couldn't stop there. Of course not. At the time, I worked for a large distributor of beauty and barber supplies. One of my co-workers was a former beautician. When I decided that I needed a perm, she felt my hair and looked at it and said that it seemed fine. I should be able to get a perm with no problem. So I did. And ended up with what felt like curly straw for hair.

It looked okay. Just very dry. Dry as in it felt like it would break-off-when-you-touched-it dry.

But wait. There's more. Two days before I'm getting ready to leave for college, one day before my best friend's wedding, I decided that my hair needed to be just a little darker. Not as orange looking. So, back to my beautician co-worker. Use a henna rinse, she said. It'll darken your hair a little but you'll still have nice highlights.

Did you know that there are blue-based hennas and green-based hennas? The reason I ask is, I didn't know that. And apparently I picked up a green-based henna. Because when I washed my hair after using it, it was darker, for sure.

It was a beautiful forest green. I kid you not. I had gone from a strawberry-blonde-orange look to forest green. My hair was so porous (read "damaged") that it just sucked up all the base color. So now instead of light curly straw, I had dark green curly straw.

Oy. So I'm all in a panic, calling my hair salon, begging them to get me in. I can't go to my friend's wedding with green curly straw for hair. The only solution: chop it all off. And for the next three or four months, every morning after I washed my hair, I put one of those temporary rinses in to cover the green. As soon as my hair was long enough to cut again (it was only about an inch and a half long at this point), I got it trimmed and had all the green gone.

The moral to this story: if you've done anything to your hair, stay away from henna. Just. Back. Away. Also, if someone you know is a beautician but isn't working as one... there's probably a good reason.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why...why would you go back to someone who made your hair curly straw for hair advice?

Sherrill. Sherrill, Sherrill, Sherrill.

Have you seen the new Garnier 100%? I squished it out, peered into the container. It was green. I kid you not. Green. I called Garnier: "Yeah, out the tube? It was green." It took me awhile to explain to buddy that no my hair wasn't green. The dye was green in the shaker container. I tossed it. They sent me a gift certificate for new color. Bought the same stuff. Peered at it. Green. Again. I tossed it and I haven't purchased the 100% ever again

I've never deviated from brown. Too scared of what could happen. I have enough hair problems. Don't need to add chemical abuse to it. Bad enough I have to dye every month. Damn it.

PS - glad you didn't tank your hair this time.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Well, at eighteen I wasn't the brightest bulb in the pack when it came to reading people. I know better now.

Sloane Taylor said...

Your tale of woe brought back some horrid memories. I started coloring my hair at thirteen. About the age of eighteen I'd finally become platinum blonde with very short hair which was all the rage. Never a bright spark, I decided to go black. Voila! I became olive green and it too lasted for months.

I feel your pain.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Boy, oh, boy, oh, boy. What does it say about us as a group that 2 of us ended up with green hair? {shaking head sadly} Even Jenna with her quirkiness managed to figure out that green + hair = bad.

This happened to me in 1981. With my green hair, I would've fit right in with the "grunge" crowd, if I ran that way. I didn't. I was the shy, goody-two-shoes type.

Just... stay away from green hair stuff. Listen to me and Sloane. Learn from our mistakes.

For The Trees said...

I had a round or two with a couple of boxes of Henna. Wowsers! Super bright orange!! I STILL haven't lived that color down! Oh, well, live and dye and learn...

I've since seen that same color hair among many of the very-much-older women who live in our retirement community and who are trying to look younger. They're almost as bad as the ones who dye it jet black.

Glad you got your coloring corrected, Sherrill. And personally I think you look just fine - unemployed or not.