Friday, December 30, 2005

The Appeal of Paranormal

My soon-to-be-published writing buddy, Sloane Taylor, was never really into paranormal romance. She's admitted it a couple of times.

She's also admitted that I have helped to change her mind.

I've always loved reading paranormal romances--those stories where (usually) the hero is vampire, werewolf, fae, or other type of supernatural being. So when I began writing romances, it was a natural thing for me to write a character (usually the hero) that has paranormal proclivities. Sometimes without prior planning, it still filters in. Of the six stories that I have contracted for publication in 2006, five of them have paranormal elements: in Pisces: Redemption (due out in February with Liquid Silver Books), the hero is a 400-year old supernatural Protector. A secondary character, also a Protector, pulls double-duty as a vampire. He'll definitely get his own story! In Careful Wishes (due out in March with Whiskey Creek Press Torrid), the heroine has psychic abilities, an empathy for animals (kinda like Dr. Doolittle); in Chocolate-Covered Werewolves (due out in April with WCP Torrid), the hero is a werewolf; in Dragon's Bane (due out in July with WCP Torrid), the hero is a shape-shifting dragon; and in Pumpkin Moon (due out in October with WCP Torrid), the heroine, who was introduced in Chocolate-Covered Werewolves, is a vampire. (See a trend here? Six books, and two of them have vampires in them.)


But what is it about the paranormal, especially vampires, that's such a turn-on? According to Maggie Shayne in the latest issue of Romance Writers Report, the vampires "is the ultimate tortured hero. He's damned, doomed to a life of darkness and outliving everyone he loves. When he finds love, he finds light again in that dark world. He is redeemed by it. He is healed, given hope. And perhaps a companion in the night. Eternal love is irrestible, and immortal love is, by definition, eternal." There's also the aspect of the ultimate predator--a vampire is a man who can kill as easily as love. Not only is a woman putting her heart on the line, she's risking her very life.

But there's more. We've always been fascinated--and frightened--by our own mortality and have questioned the idea of life after death since the beginning of time. Maggie said, "The vampire legend feeds the need we have to explore those issues."

I suppose that's why Christopher Lee's Dracula, or Frank Langella's Dracula, or Michael Nouri's Dracula, or Gerard Butler's Dracula is so appealing. Tall, dark and handsome... and deadly. So much so that it sends shivers up your spine.

And other unmentionable places.

8 comments:

Sloane Taylor said...

You are one deep woman. I can't wait for your new books to come out. Yes, Ms. Quinn, you and the Diva have me hooked!!

Anonymous said...

I will say I didn't get hooked on vampires until about 15 years ago. I was attending a Science Fiction/Fantasy convention with friends of mine (I was the driver) and they wanted to attend a 10 a.m., Sunday panel on vampires.

Now, I admit to being a big chicken when it comes to horror. But I told them, sure we can go, but if it gets too graphic for me I have to leave. Well, it wasn't graphic, and there were two authors there who talked about their vampire books. One was Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, I love her St. Germaine vampire books. She got me hooked.

I was probably hooked a bit before that, but in the late 80's early 90's there was so little paranormal romance, because they publishers said it didn't sell. Yet, everytime one was put out it flew off the shelves.

I agree with Sherrill, that the idea of eternal love is what keeps bringing me back to these books, to see how the hero and heroine overcome the conflict of one or both being supernatural creatures.

While I do write some paranormal, I haven't exactly sent any into publishers yet. I feel very new at the paranormal writing.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Hotmama, you never can tell about those Trekkers. If your guy is hiding his "true" self, at least we know he's a good guy. Even vampires can wear white. :)

Nancy, write what you like. When you're comfortable with the paranormal aspects of what you're writing, that's when you know it's the right time to submit.

Sloane, you're da bomb. That's all I can say. You're. Da. Bomb.

Anonymous said...

Gerard Butler was Dracula? When? Where? Tell me. Teeell Meeeeeee!!!!!

Nooooooooooow.

Ahem. Pardon me.

Anonymous said...

6 brothers? I can't even handle 1. 6 brothers? 6?! Holy Dinah. (reaches for paper bag)

Sherrill Quinn said...

Jenna, you goof. Gerard Butler was Dracula in Dracula 2000. Not the greatest movie, but, hey. It has Gerard Butler in it.

I'll sit through just about anything if the guy is hot enough.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Yeah, ol' Hotmama has 6 brothers, and at one point or another I believe I've met all of 'em. They're good guys.

But, then, I'm not their sister. :)

Anonymous said...

Gerard Butler hot. Yum. Although he can't sing worth a lick. Phantom was such a disappointment. Raoul was clearly not straight, Christina couldn't act but she could sing. Gerard Butler could act (very menancing Phantom) but his singing was bad. B-a-d. I won't even mention Minnie Driver. That one left me weeping in agony.

Hm. Must rent Dracula 2000 along with Serendipity. Will have an evening of hot men. Awesome. Then I will top it off with Riddick because, well, you can never have too much Riddick in your life. Oh man...Viiiiiin.