Friday, December 09, 2005

Does unagented mean unsellable?

Not according to Chris Keesler of Dorchester. Mr. Keesler is a senior editor at the independent publisher (meaning this publisher hasn't been swallowed by a larger company) and has been with them for 10 years. An interview with him was published in the most recent edition of RWR (Romance Writers Report), and he had this to say about the slush pile:

"I pick up a lot of books from the slush pile, actually. It always surprises me how many jewels you can find in the unagented. Of course, you can find a lot of ddreck, too, but I always find it's worth wading through the garbage. I've probably picked up six to 10 new authors this year."

Of course, he goes on to say that the majority of their books are agented, despite all the "great stuff we at Dorchester take out of the slush pile." One of the biggest pros to having an agent is that, according to Mr. Keesler, an agent will get his/her (authors') submissions read faster than simply off a slush pile, because he trusts their opinion. An agent provides something that's impossible for an unagented writer to accomplish: the relationship, the knowledge of his tastes and abilities.

At some point I will be looking to acquire an editor. In my opinion, that's the best way to break into the NY print market. I don't have the expertise to navigate the twists and turns of publishing, and I certainly don't have the contacts that an agent does.

But, for now, as I concentrate on building my career in the electronic arena, I forge ahead alone and unagented. Well, not alone, exactly. I have all my fellow vixen authors right here beside me, one in person, the rest in spirit as they're spread out all the North American continent. They celebrate my successes and put up with my whining. While an agent might do that, too, that's not why I want an agent. I want an agent who will sell me. I got others to provide me with strokes to my ego and kicks to my behind.

Now, let me direct your attention HERE. My buds Jenna and Kate are blogging at Torrid Temptations. Go over and say hi, visit a while. Right here.

5 comments:

Sloane Taylor said...

I had the pleasure of meeting Chris at the Autumn Author's Affair October 2004. He struck me as a knowledgeable guy who didn't blow smoke. Yet it is disenheartening to learn only six to ten authors get yanked from the slush pile. Thank the gods for the e-publishers who welcome newbies.

Searching for an agent must be a daunting experience but one you'll handle with your usual class and style.

What's going on at Torrid? Everytime I click on all that comes up is yesterday's blog.

Sherrill Quinn said...

The gals should be posting shortly. Jenna said they'd be doing it around 9 (MST).

You think I have class and style?

Really?

Ha! Well, maybe style, but class...? :)

Sloane Taylor said...

Yes, Darlin', and don't you EVER forget it.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Well, okay, Sloane. If you say so. I don't want you to get out the old 2x4.

Anonymous said...

I've met Chris and he's a great guy and I've been told also a great editor.

Sloane said it is disenheartening to learn only six to ten authors get yanked from the slush pile."

Its even worse if you're writing series books (Desire, Blaze, etc.) You're lucky if they get 1 or 2
authors a year from the slush pile.

One of the things that has always bugged me about the slush pile is there are people that send in books
that clearly don't belong at that editor or publisher (cook books to a romance editor, etc.) That takes
the editors time up.

Agents do help with big NY publishers (St. Martins, etc.), but in this day and age, its harder to get an agent (you can almost get an editor easier).

I stopped the agent hunt a while back because what I write (series romance and e-books) I don't have to
have an agent for that.

While I would like an agent for my series books because I'd rather be writing than having to keep track of where I've sent my book, what's hot, what's selling, who's paid me and who hasn't and all those fun things we writers do to keep track of our
books/money.

But for now, I'm content to write and find an editor who thinks I'm worthy of publishing.