Thursday, July 27, 2006

Report On The Job Front

My first day on the new job went...fine. Can I tell you how much I hated being there?

Oh, not there the place of work--the company and its employees seems nice enough. No, it was just the fact that I had to be there. Back in corporate America. Not sitting at my laptop writing.

Bummer.

Double bummer.

I'd much rather be talking to you about this:


or even this (or I should probably say... especially this):


But, no, I'm blogging about work.

Bum.

Mer.



P.S. I'm over at NCP today, with a post about my latest review on The Praetorians: Discovery. Check it out.



"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind." ~Aristotle

4 comments:

smr said...

{{{{{Sherrill}}}}} Sorry I've been absent for such a long stretch -- sounds like I've got a lot of catching up to do on the Book of Sherrill's Work Adventures! All I can say is I'm sorry your full-time employment can't be at home with your laptop and your imagination. And it hits me like a whiff of smelling salts that if YOU can't be a stay-at-home-writer with your books and the amount of word count you produce, then there's no hope for me in that regard. *sigh*

It sounds like you have found a pleasant place to work, but I understand the longing to do what you WANT to do and not what you HAVE to do all the time. Hugs and hang in there! Where can I get the scoop on where you are/what you are doing in corporate now?

Sherrill Quinn said...

Well, Su, being able to support yourself with your writing is something that (usually) takes a few (or several) years. You first have to build a solid readership and keep putting new stuff out there. I don't have a lot of problems with #2, and #1 isn't hard, it just takes time. I knew going into this that after one year I would have to go back to work, so I'm not surprised at this turn of events. I'd actually planned on it. But it still sucks. *G*

I'll be posting again about this experience in another day or so...

smr said...

It hasn't been a year *already,* has it?!?!? *gasp* I'll be checking in here for updates; we have to pick up DS from Brown U. this weekend (he's taking a 1-week pre-college course there), and then next Thurs. we leave for NY state for our annual family camping/baseball weekend in the lower Catskills that was ravished by flash floods in late June. I need my annual dose of NY country air, despite the king-sized starving mosquitoes that buzz around the creek (crick). :^)

Sherrill Quinn said...

It's been 11 months. I quit my job on September 1st. :)

Barring the mosquitos, have a great time on vacation!