Saturday, July 29, 2006

My New Job

I've worked 3 days now at the new job. Sigh. Let me fill you in a little.

The company has roughly 90 employees, many of which are part-time. It's a drug-testing facility, so much of the office staff are phlebotomists and other professional technicians. The owner seems like a nice man and the employees I've met so far seem nice as well. My boss is someone I've worked with before, so I know we can work well together. She actually called me about the job.

What's the job? Right now it's a Human Resources Assistant. (Yep. I'm back in HR. But after I've been able to distance myself from my last mind-wrecking job, not going back into HR seemed like an entire waste of the last 20 years of my life.) After next week, I'll only be working one day a week except when my boss is gone. But the whole idea is that, sometime within the next 3-4 months, my boss and I will transition to co-workers and will job-share the HR Administrator (Manager) position. At that point I'll be working 2 1/2 to 3 days per week.

My hours are very flexible. I'm optimistic that, once I get into the swing of having to go to work again, I'll still be able to write. Just not as much. :(

I'll keep you posted.



"Personally, I have nothing against work, particularly when performed, quietly and unobtrusively, by someone else. I just don't happen to think it's an appropriate subject for an 'ethic'." ~Barbara Ehrenreich

2 comments:

Tempest Knight said...

Good to hear things are working out with your new job! And it seems like it gives you plenty of time to write. *g*

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks, Tempest. As it's only part-time, it should give me lots of time to write. But I gotta say, yesterday after working 7 1/2 hours, when I got home I was beat. Absolutely exhausted, I tell you. Was in bed by 9. What a wuss.