Friday, January 13, 2006

Yay Me!

While I was in Sedona being inspired by the magnificent red rock formations, I went to the Activity Center of the resort at which my critique partner and I were staying (don't get excited--I got two nights from a Get Up and Go package I got from my former employer and the upgrade to the resort was for sitting through a 2 1/2 hour time share presentation, which is a subject for a whole 'nother blog). At the Activity Center, I checked my email. Imagine my shock to see an email from Andrea DePasture at New Concepts Publishing telling me she loved my submission Atonement, and wanted to send me a contract.

No, my shock wasn't that she loved it. It's a great story and one that I had a blast writing. My shock was regarding the turnaround time.

Here's how it went: On Saturday 1/7 at around 2 p.m., I sent an email query with a synopsis to Ms. DePasture regarding Atonement. On Sunday early evening, I opened an email from her asking me to send on the manuscript, which I did. Wednesday morning, January 11th, I checked my email and found one that Ms. DePasture sent around 2:20 p.m. on Tuesday the 10th, telling me she loved Atonement and would be delighted to send me a contract.

That's four days almost to the minute from query to acceptance. That's unheard of. Four days.

I was equally delighted to give her my snail mail address for the contract.

Ay carumba. That's seven contracts in five months with three publishers.

Somethin' tells me I'm into somethin' good...!

11 comments:

For The Trees said...

Oh, Sherrill! You are just SOOOOO wonderful! Isn't it great that you finally left that sucky job and decided to do what you really wanted to do?

Man, I'm happy for you!! WHOO-HOO!

Forrest

Anonymous said...

Congratulations my friend.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks, friends. I am lovin' this ride! :)

smr said...

WOW!! That's great!! Congratulations 7 times over! ~Su, thinking Arizona must be the place to write... although if entire winters here were like today was (70 degrees!!), I wouldn't mind it a bit...

Sherrill Quinn said...

Su, I'm still dancing around. Got the contracts in my email today along with an art questionnaire and request for blurb, tag-line and bio. I wrote to the editor about a novella I've finished that I'd like to submit, but I'm hung up on the synopsis. She told me she's looking for something quick and dirty. So I'm going to throw something together and send it on. Keep your fingers crossed!

Felicia Forella said...

Congrats, Sherrill! I hope the publishing streak continues for you!!!!!

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks, Felicia! I hope it does, too!!! :)

Landra Douglas said...

Hmmm... I posted a comment to this last night. Wonder why it didn't show up?

Anyway...

CONGRATS SHERRILL! Way to go, girl! You are flyin'! Guess your muse has been busy helping you work hard! :o) Congrats again!

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks, Landra. Yep, Urian has been working his bare little tush off. :)

Pink Pen said...

Wow Sherrill! That's great news :)

Congratulations!

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks, Pink. I'm still pretty psyched about it. They've already got me listed as contributing author on the blog, and I don't even have a publication date yet. :)