Sunday, January 15, 2006

The Pain Of Time Share Sales

As I've written in previous posts, I just spent three days in Sedona, Arizona on a mini writer's retreat with my critique partner. Of course, we got very little work done. It's so beautiful up there, it's hard to stay inside and work (the place we stayed wasn't conducive to working outdoors).

Let me talk about this. Back when I was working for the credit union, we (the company) purchased some "Get Up and Go" packages to give to members (customers). One of the perks to being the VP of HR was that the VP of Marketing would often give 'extras' to the executive staff. So I got one of these packages for a 3 day-2 night stay at my choice of places. I chose Sedona, because it's close enough to drive, so the only expense I'd have would be gas and food.

Once I made my reservations, I was asked if I'd like to sit through a time-share presentation and they'd upgrade my hotel room to a room at the resort (which shall remain nameless to protect the innocent). I figured 2 hours of my time was worth 2 free nights at a resort in Sedona.

Thankfully, the sales person was very personable (which she would have had to be, right?) and explained things well. Every time I said no, she came back with another, cheaper offer. At the last of it, I was hard-pressed to say no, it was such a good deal. But, as I explained to her, every single extra penny I have is being clutched in my miserly little fist because I want to be able to support myself with my writing. I don't have the time or money for vacations right now. :)

The sad part: the room they booked us into had one of the most uncomfortable beds I've ever slept in. It was a small suite, complete with kitchen with dishes, etc., which was nice. But the cushions of the sofa were worn out and the sleeper sofa, according to my CP, slept just as bad as the bed did. If this was what they were trying to sell me, fuggetaboudit.

The really great part: it was in beautiful Sedona. The weather was gorgeous: sun and 70s during the day. Unfortunately, I didn't get to any of the vortexes. You have to climb up on top of big rocks and/or hills (I'm talking a couple of miles worth of climbing and/or hiking) and I'm just not in that kind of physical shape. So I don't know if you really can feel anything from these energy vortexes. One day I hope to. If you ever get a chance to go to Sedona, do it.

One day I'm going back for at least a week, and I'm going to book myself in a place that at least affords a patio with a table where I can sit outside and work. Although all those red rock formations can be distracting. And if I end up at a place on Oak Creek... well, it's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it.

2 comments:

Angela's Designs said...

Wow, great pics!

Sherrill Quinn said...

And the pictures don't even do it justice, Annalee. You really have to be there to get the full effect. It's breathtaking.