Saturday, January 07, 2006

The Blogosphere

Blogging can be addictive. Just ask my buddy Jenna. She went crazy there for awhile, doing more blogging than writing. Yesterday she came to a momentous decision. Well, two, actually. The first thing she did was take her counter off her blog. It was freaking her out, seeing who was coming to her blog (or, more accurately, who wasn't). Then...

No more random blogging. No more not-so-random blogging. She's on a schedule with her own blog, only going to blog 3 days a week and not on the weekends, and has deleted the option of people posting comments. (You can email her instead.) Because it's very addictive running back to your own blog several times a day (or every 5 minutes) to see who's commented. Then, you need to come up with something witty to say in response.

I understand how she feels. It's a very addictive, mesmerizing thing.

At this point, I'm going to continue to blog every day--weekends continued--unless otherwise restricted. (I'm going to be with my critique partner in Sedona for three days next week doing a mini-writer's retreat/plotting camp, so I won't be blogging Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.) My blog is my way of sharing my journey with others and is something I need to do for myself.

Blogging is not the weakness for me that it evidently was for my poor Jenna. My weakness... clicking on my frickin email every 5 minutes to see if anyone new has emailed me.

Somebody help me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes...poor, poor Jenna. Shed a tear for her. I have. lol.

I have it so my email chimes whenever I get mail. That way I don't have to click.

Day 1 without blogging - very hard. Very hard indeed. I have the shakes. THE SHAKES!!

Sherrill Quinn said...

Well, I appreciate you coming over and supporting me, Diva.

It'll get better. And once you have more and more published books under your belt, it won't be as painful. :)

For The Trees said...

MY biggest addiction is going to see what Sherrill, Sloane, Jenna and Kate have put up on their blogs. I haven't been going to any others.

So far I've found so much wisdom and instruction in you four fabulous females' blogs I don't NEED to go read anything else.

Thanks again.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Yasmine, I'm with you. It is distracting, especially if you get a lot of email. I had my computer set up at work where Bugs Bunny would say "What's this? A letter, for me?" whenever I got mail. After the 3rd or 4th time it came on when I was conducting an interview, I decided it had to go.

It was fun while it lasted, but damned distracting.

Forrest, you're too kind. You keep heaping words of praise like that on us and we're all gonna start to think we're somthing. :)

Anonymous said...

I've discovered I don't get any email. Well, not a lot. I miss commenting. Badly. I needed a hit so here I am.

Wow - I'm so happy to be someone's blog crack!

I don't want to finish my dinner because then I have to c-l-e-a-n and go down to the creepy storage lockers to store my xmas stuff. I hate going down there. I always get the song from Nightmare on Elm Street in my head: 1,2 Freddy's come for you... 3,4 Better shut the door... 5,6 Grab your crucifix ...7,8...better stay awake...9,10 never sleep again.

Sweet.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Well, Jenna, the last time I did a "recommended" Microsoft update, it screwed up my Outlook Express. I don't have the time or inclination to try to figure out what's wrong and, since I don't use Outlook for my email, I didn't think it was a big deal. Of course, when you click on "email" on your blog (or any website, really), it automatically throws you into Outlook. Hence, no emails from me. But I'm reading it, honey. Besides, I already emailed you about your decision and gave you a big hoorah!

smr said...

Sherrill, I'm going to apologize here and now for not visiting and commenting as frequently as I have before. Looks like Jenna and I blogging-maxxed out about the same time. Different levels, different reasons, different comments, sure. But same outcome. And discipline, as Kate blogged, is the word of the day. Too bad I have so little of it! :^) I'm only blogging for me, too, and am hoping the fictional interaction will throw me back into fiction heaven. lol Have a great retreat this coming week! ~Su

Sherrill Quinn said...

Well, Su, I treat my blog as part of my job as a writer. And as part of the writing community, I support other writers (not many, or blogging would be my full-time job!) by visiting their blogs. But usually once a day, early in the morning, after I've posted my blog. I generally check again in the afternoon some time, and maybe once more before I go to bed. But that's it.

Too bad I can't have that kind of self-control over my eating habits.