Friday, January 27, 2006

What Women Want To Hear

A couple of days ago I had a two-part blog about the differences between men and women. Let's move on to what kinds of things do women want to hear from their men in bed?

Women are verbal creatures at heart. While we might know our man loves us, we still want to hear those three words: "I love you." It's also why we read erotic romance and erotica and love men with foreign accents. According to Ask Men, we react the same way to these things as a man will when he sees a woman with large breasts (because men are visual creatures at heart).

If your man can paint a verbal picture, he can turn you on, and big time. Here are some tips that Ask Men gives on the best things to say once a man has a woman where he wants her:

"I want to make you feel good." A simple and effective way to relax her and reassure her that she made the right decision to go to bed with him.

Most men like a woman to be vocal during sex, because that way he knows when he's pleasing her. But sometimes women feel awkward or embarrassed about being so loud. A man saying, "I love the sounds you make when you orgasm" will help her relax and let go.

He should compliment her, but be sure he selects a body part she's proud of. She'll know if he's 'faking' it. He can say something like "I love how (hot) your (body part) is."

"I love the way you taste. I could stay down here for hours." When a man says this, it reassures his woman that he enjoys giving her oral sex and that there are no, um, nasty smells coming from that area. And the tip here: it's best to say this in a rough, exhausted tone of voice. (Service done well is service most appreciated!)

"That feels so good. I love it when you (insert action here)." The man should encourage his woman to touch him, and let her know what works for him. Or "You're so good at (insert action here)" works as well.

"Your skin is so soft and smooth." God knows we spend a lot of time shaving and smoothing stuff on our skin to keep it feeling silky. We appreciate it when our men acknowledge our efforts and that it's a turn-on for them.

"I've never felt this way before." Men and women like to feel special and unique, especially in a relationship. If a woman does something to her man in bed that has never been done quite so pleasurably before, he needs to tell her. But he shouldn't overdo it by adding something like "It's the best I've ever had." (That could detract from the whole making-her-feel-special thing, because this suggests she's just another in a long line of bed partners.)

The guys should choose their words wisely. Well-spoken words (even dirty talk) can heighten a woman's arousal. Poorly chosen words will break the mood and send him home without gettin' any.


P.S. I'll be taking the weekend off from this blog, but you'll get me twice on Monday. I'll be posting here, of course, and posting the second installment of All's Fair over at Indulgence. If you haven't read Jenna and Kate's stories, get over there now and read them. They're great!

7 comments:

Sloane Taylor said...

Ms. Sherrill, you have pressed the right buttons. Words during sex are important to a woman. Sometimes they can excite her more then the actions.

So, in your opinion, how does a woman overcome her inablity to whisper like words?

Sherrill Quinn said...

Don't have a clue, Sloane. I guess it comes down to feeling safe with your man. I'm not sure the guys need words like women do. I think gasps and moans work just fine for them. :)

Sloane Taylor said...

I think it's more then feeling safe. Women were taught some strange things regarding sex, back in my era, which are hard to overcome.

Ah well, maybe practice makes perfect and I should just keep pushing my limits. LOL.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Is that the 'good girls don't like it' school of thinking, Sloane?

Just keep practicing. :)

Sloane Taylor said...

It must have been but since we were all Southside Chicago girls the good sort of fell by the wayside. Just the inhibitions remained.

OH STUDLY....

For The Trees said...

I'm learning so much from you romance writers...ESPECIALLY about male-female differences and viewpoints.

I really appreciate this, Sherrill - keep it up! It feels soooo good when you do that!!! YEEOOWIES!

Sherrill Quinn said...

I know what you mean, Sloane. Unfortunately. Least you get to practice on the Studmeister.

Well, Forrest, obviously you have the advantage to writing a man's point of view. I'm just trying to find all the information I can to help me write a male's POV better.