Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Modern Technology

While working on my current wip yesterday, I kept flipping back to check emails and do some blogging (which I just about always do when I'm supposed to be writing). And I was struck, not for the first time, how much computers and associated peripherals have changed the way we live.

I have people that I consider to be good friends that I've never met in person. But they understand me, they have similar souls. I know that, when I get to meet them in person, it will be the icing on the cake, so to speak. (Mmmmm. Cake. I'm having some, um, issues with my low-carb diet. Can you tell?)

These people I would never have met had it not been for my computer and the internet. They're all over the country, plus a few in Canada. I've "talked" to people in the UK and Australia. (My brother has regular email correspondence with someone in Norway.) Every once in a while, I have to ask for clarification on a word or phrase. Even though Americans, Canadians, Brits and Australians all speak English, sometimes it's not the same English. (My friend Jenna used the word 'toque' in Winter Wishes, her story that's available now in the Winter Wishes Anthology at Whiskey Creek Press Torrid. (Go over and buy a copy!) Based on the content, I made an assumption of what a 'toque' was, but I'd never heard the word before. My friend Sara, who actually just moved to town back in November, told me recently that she'd been to an Outback restaurant and laughed over the word 'bonzer'. Means 'good', like a 'bonzer meal'. Except, in Australia, it's b-o-n-z-a. Not with an 'er'.)

The biggest group of friends are the folks that I met through Jan Springer's EroRom class in February of last year. (Wow. It's been almost a year. That's amazing!) They live in Illinois, New Jersey, California, Texas... you name it. Like I said, all over the country.

And I get a chance to correspond with authors that I might otherwise never have the opportunity. If you blog, they will answer. Most of the time, anyway. :)

I can't imagine going back to life before computers and the World Wide Web. All the people I would never have known if Al Gore hadn't invented the Internet. (I say that with tongue planted firmly in cheek!)

How has the Internet changed your life?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

A toque is a winter hat, eh.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Yeah, I figured that out, you Canuck, you. :)

Anonymous said...

How has the internet changed my life?!? How?!?!

Need you ask this blog crack addict whore? Need! You! Ask?!?

Oh and I met you and all the Vixens. Awesome.

And found my editors. Awesome.

Who sell my books. Awesome.

And I can find pictures of hot, hot men. Aaaaawesome

Sherrill Quinn said...

I doubt I'd be published at this point if it weren't for the Internet and electronic publishers. The print pubs take a very long time to respond (6-8 months if you're LUCKY).

Anonymous said...

Hey. You talkin' about me, Miss Kate?

Jan Springer, Erotic Romance Author said...

Hmmm my ears were ringing so I thought I'd scoot over here :-)

Hey! You blog to avoid writing too eh? LMHO. Me too!!! Wonderful invention for stalling it is!

Toque - hat - in Canada eh.

I gotta agree with you Sherrill...without the computer I would be one lost alone soul.
I'm so HAPPY I've met you ladies...er I mean Hussies!!!!

jan, off to do more writing (not)

Anonymous said...

I never would have learned so much about writing if it wasn't for the email. All the on-line classes, especially Jan's taught me my strenghts and weakenesses. Find all my Vixen friends, also other friends from other classes where we've created our own group. Critique partners, friends. I keep in touch with family thorugh email especially when my nephew was in Korea.

Then there is the day I stumbled into an epublishers site. Another whole world opened up.

Writing can be so solitary, at least this way I have some contact.

Sherrill Quinn said...

You all are funny. :)

Yes, blogging is yet another procrastination tool in the writer's toolkit. And you could spend all day jumping from blog to blog, whoring yourself as it were (not mentioning any names at all, Jenna)...

Sherrill Quinn said...

And did I mention I can shop?!?

Anonymous said...

yeah, yeah.

You'll all be sorry after tomorrow's blog. I'm having "issues". Oh yes the taunting will stop tomorrow.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Jenna, you mean you're having issues other than the issues you always have?

Anonymous said...

Yes.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Yasmine, I'm gonna start using that as my excuse when I spend too much money. "Hey, I got issues!" LOL

smr said...

...all of the above goes for me, too. Plus I can check out Arizona real estate without having to fly out there! No, I wouldn't make that kind of purchase without seeing it, but I sure can learn what's where and get quasi-acclimated. ~Su

Sherrill Quinn said...

Su, it's really nice to look at real estate, especially when they show the inside of the house and/or the views you have from the lot. (With the house I sold back in May I had a beautiful view of the mountains from my back yard. Of course, I had to be standing up because of the privacy wall, but still... it was gorgeous in the winter with the snow line.)