Thursday, November 16, 2006

A Writer's Work Is Never Done

I just finished the first draft of my novella, Dragonfire, which I'm submitting to Amber Heat for one of their shapeshifter Paxes. As you can no doubt tell from the title, my particular shapeshifters are dragons. Ger-er-errrrrrrr. I just sent the second half of the novella off to my critique group. I hope to have the edited version in to my editor by the end of the month.

So, this morning after I get home from my dentist appointment (cavity in one of my wisdom teeth and, no, I'm NOT getting it pulled until I have to!), I'm heading back into the second book in my Praetorians series. I already have 15,000 words of Quinn's story written, but that's not quite the halfway mark for this one. I'm shooting for 35-40,000 words on this one, which means the book will be almost twice as long as the first one in the series. But Quinn's so grrrrrr, I have to give him more room!

Then it's on to expanding my novella City of the Dead into an at least 70,000 word novel so I can resubmit it to Kensington (by request). I think that means that by around the first of March I'll be ready to start on something new. As long as my energy doesn't flag. Now that the doc has me on potassium pills (my high blood pressure medication has a diuretic in it, which can make you lose potassium), I've already noticed a difference in my level of tiredness. As in I'm not as tired as I have been--haven't been taking naps in the middle of the day on my days off.

Course, now that it's dark by 5:45 p.m., I'm ready for bed by then anyway. LOL My biological clock says, hmm. Dark means it's bedtime, light means it's time to get up. Which really sucks in the summer when the sun starts climbing over the mountain at 4:45 a.m. Yep. This summer I was awake by 5 a.m. every freakin' morning. There's only so much light I can block out of a room that has skylights in the bathroom area, and no door separating the bathroom from the bedroom (only an archway).

Check in with y'all later!




"The wages of sin are death, but by the time taxes are taken out, it's just sort of a tired feeling." ~Paula Poundstone

2 comments:

Estella said...

I also take a blood pressure med, so also have to take potassium. It is amazing how much better you will feel when you get your potassium level up.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Well, I must've spoken too soon, because this afternoon I had to lay down--couldn't keep my eyes open. Ended up sleeing for almost 3 hours!

Either my potassium's still low, or I'm just getting old...