Saturday, November 11, 2006

To All Our Veterans

Veterans Day began as Armistice Day, following World War I. Even though the Treaty of Versailles (signed on June 28, 1919) was the official end to World War I, the actual fighting ended seven months earlier on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month in 1918. Armistice Day officially became a legal nationwide holiday in 1938, and the name changed to Veterans Day in 1954.

As I researched information about Veterans Day, I came across a list of wars the U.S. has been involved in since our earliest days, starting with our own American Revolution. Then we move on to:

War of 1812
Mexican War
Civil War (or War of Aggression by the Northern States, depending on which side of the Mason-Dixon you grew up on)
Spanish American War
World War I
World War II
Korean War
Vietnam War
Persian Gulf War
War on Terror

I'm not making any sort of political statement here. My grandfather (now deceased) and his son, my uncle, fought in World War II. My dad is a veteran of the Korean War. I have the utmost respect, admiration and appreciation for all those who serve in the armed forces.

Thank you, to you and your families.

And God bless.



MySpace Layouts





"On the battlefield, the military pledges to leave no man behind. As a nation, let it be our pledge that, when they return home, we leave no veteran behind." ~Dan Lipinski

4 comments:

Estella said...

My two sons and my two stepsons were in the Persian gulf War.
God Bless all veterans!

Sherrill Quinn said...

You sound like a very proud mama, Estella. As you should!

Sam said...

Thank you Sherrill, from a vet of the Persian Gulf War. :-)

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thank YOU, Sam. :)