Saturday, November 18, 2006

Romance Writers of America

I cannot stress enough how important it is to belong to a group where you get support and the chance to learn and grow as a writer. My RWA membership--especially since my local chapter formed 18 months ago--has been worth much more than the annual dues I pay.

Over this past year, I have held the positions of Co-Editor of the chapter newsletter, PRO Liaison, and Critique Group Coordinator. Bowing to gently applied pressure, I put my name in the hat for the position of President next year. So I will continue to give back to my chapter and try to make sure that all the members have the same opportunities that I've had. (It's up to them to take advantage of the opportunities... to MAKE something happen instead of waiting for something to happen--be proactive instead of reactive.)

At our meeting today, I'll be asking for volunteers to fill several vacancies open in January, including 2 of the positions I hold right now. Here's hoping people will step forward!




"We ourselves must be full of life if we are going to make life fuller for others." ~David Sawyer

2 comments:

Estella said...

Sherrill, you can persuade them.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Well, Estella, not much persuading was needed. Thankfully, everyone currently holding a position re-upped, and people immediately stepped forward into the vacant positions. Yay!