Thursday, November 30, 2006

Goodbye To The Patriarch

My dad passed away this morning around 2:00 a.m. The Patriarch of our family--our oldest male--is gone.

My sister called at 6:30 and asked how I was doing. First, a call at 6:30 in the morning is never a good sign. Then for her to start out this phone call with a "how're you going?"... Then she broke the news, which was what I had been expecting but it was still so hard to hear.

As I sit here and type this, crying, I think of what my dad meant to me and how I feel about his death.

I feel a lot of regret--regret that he was such a hard man to know. He didn't show his feelings, didn't seem to take much interest in what was going on in his children's lives. Only once in the six years that I've lived in Arizona had he initiated a phone call to me to see how I was doing. One day out of 2,190. One of my sisters-in-law has often commented how much he missed out on really knowing what interesting and funny people his kids were.

Yet he'd drop everything at a moment's notice and go help someone who needed it.

My brother G and I were planning on flying home on Saturday anyway to spend time with Dad (the plan was to see him before he got worse). But with congestive heart failure, he just didn't hang on long enough. Now we'll be going home on Saturday, but we'll be going to his funeral.

I'm gonna give my mom an extra long hug when I see her while I cry like a baby in her arms.

I'd appreciate any extra positive thoughts and prayers you can send our way.

With all that being said, this will be my last post until I return from Ohio. I'll be checking messages/email, but I won't be blogging again until Sunday December 10th.

See you then.

15 comments:

Landra Douglas said...

Sherrill, hugs to you and your family. My thoughs and prayers are with all of you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Sherill. *hugs* to you all.

Anonymous said...

Sherrill: I was so sorry to hear the news. God love and keep you and yours.

Sloane Taylor said...

Sherrill, my deepest sympathies to you and your family. Hold fast the thought of how lucky you were to have such a wonderful man in your life. Not many people have your good fortune.

Anonymous said...

Oh sweetie, so sorry to hear this.

Hugs to you and your family.

j

Anonymous said...

Sherrill, I am so sorry to hear your news. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Lauren

Anonymous said...

Sherrill, sorry to hear the bad news. Hope you can have extra time to be with your mother and the rest of your family. My prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

{{{{{Sherrill}}}}} hugs, love, and peace to you and yours. Take good care of yourself during this exhausting time. ~Su

Sam said...

All my prayers, my friend. My sympathies to you and yours at this time.
Here is something I hope you find comforting.

Shed A Tear

Hush.
Listen.
Quietly.
Closely.
Do you hear it?
On the breeze?
In the sigh of the earth?
That’s the voice
Of one not with us.
Gone from our sides,
But not our hearts.
Where they have gone
One day we will follow,
But for now
Shed a tear
In sadness for our loss,
And another in joy
For their gain.
And remember,
Always remember,
That their love
Will be ours forever.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thank you, everyone. I so much appreciate your kindness.

Sam--the poem was lovely. Thank you. :)

Marie Tuhart said...

Sherrill, big hugs dear friend. I'm so sorry for the loss of your father. My thought and prayers are with you and all your family. Safe flight and know that you are being watched over.

Marie

Sherrill Quinn said...

Marie and Marty--thank you so much.

Estella said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Lots of love go with you. Some men just don't have the words - and so don't pick up the phone, because they feel at a loss. Starting with a hug to your mom, you all will have stories to tell.

Elizabeth

Jennifer Y. said...

Hugs!!!