Friday, October 13, 2006

Friday The 13th

Why is it that Friday the 13th in the month of October seems to have an extra bang? I guess it's because October is the month of Halloween, when all kinds of things go bump in the night.

I've blogged before about Friday the 13th but, if you'll humor me, let's talk about it again. From what I can tell, one of the explanations for associating Friday the 13th with bad luck here in the West started back in 1307 when the final Grand Master of the Knights Templar, Jacques Demolay, was arrested (and later tortured and executed). From there it was a short time until the Knights Templar were no more. And so Friday the 13th has become unlucky.

I have never particularly found it to be so. But, then, I'm not a particularly superstitious person.

Well, I do knock on wood when I talk about something that has never happened to me. And I say "Bread and Butter" when a friend and I are together and walk on opposite sides of a pole. But, really, it's more of a habit than out of any real belief.

What about you? What superstitions do you hold, or people you know have?




"Doomed... You're all doomed." ~Crazy Ralph, Friday the 13th (the movie)


10 comments:

smr said...

:^) I, too, knock on wood when I don't want to "jinx" myself, but as you say, out of habit more than out of belief. Oh, and the "wood" that I knock on is my ever-present head. lol My DH was born on a 13 and so was our daughter, so 13 is a great number for me. Good to be "visiting" here again after a blog hiatus. lol I'm gearing up for NaNoWriMo... *knocking on wood* lol ~Su

Estella said...

I am not a particularly superstitious person either.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Chey, I hear ya on that. Don't want to jinx what you've got going on...

Sherrill Quinn said...

Ali, that's pretty funny. I've never heard of that one, but I guess it's the idea that if you give someone a gift of shoes it encourages them to walk away from you?

Sherrill Quinn said...

Su!!!! It's so good to hear from you! Good luck with NaNoWriMo. I'm not doing it this year--got lots of little projects I'm working on.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Estella, are we boring for not being superstitious? LOL

Angela's Designs said...

They idea that people are nuttier today is a superstition that I hold. And, they prove me right! LOL. Today at work a woman called in disputing her debt and told me that she wrote the White House and the president shut down the last company that accused her of this debt. Well, might have been true. But I chalked it up to Friday the 13th and decided I will have a job next week.

Joan said...

I am not a superstitious person. Happy Halloween.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Annalee, I think you're right. Or, at the very least, there are the same # of nutty people relative to the size of the population. So, because the population has increased, the number of crazies has increased as well. LOL

Sherrill Quinn said...

Joan, thanks for stopping by! Happy Halloween to you, too. :)