Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Dead Like Me

Have y'all watched this show? (I catch it on the Sci-Fi Channel on Tuesday nights.) It's such a clever premise--a young woman (18 years old) is killed but, instead of going to Heaven or Hell or wherever, she is chosen to become a Grim Reaper. But she has to hold down a job to support herself--and learn life lessons she didn't before she died--while she's going around collecting souls of those about to die.

And she gets her assignments on little yellow sticky notes from her "boss", played by Mandy Patinkin. There are three other Reapers she hangs out with.

The opening credits show a bunch of Reaper-robed, er, Reapers, going about daily business-playing basketball (while holding their scythes in one hand), doing laundry at the laundromat, making copies at the office, etc.

Sometimes the show is funny, sometimes it's very poignant and makes me cry. (Though... I can cry at a commercial, so that may not be the best barometer...)

If you haven't seen it, you should tune in.





"All I need is room to lay a hat and a few friends." ~Dorothy Parker


9 comments:

Sam said...

I need to switch to a day job - I miss all the good shows out now. I love Mandy Patinkin (Ever since I saw him in "A Princess Bride).
I want to see "Heroes," too. Have you seen it?

Anonymous said...

It is a Terrific show!! A big Hit with my family!! It's on DVD if you want to see the whole series whenever you want!

Anonymous said...

Sam, Heroes is turning out to be really intriguing and down right entertaining!! You may still be able to catch the first episode on cable somewhere!

Jennifer Y. said...

I haven't watched it, but I think it used to come on one of the Premium channels...but could be wrong.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Sam, I haven't seen Heroes, but it looks good. I like Mandy Pantinkin, too--he was great on the early ER.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Stephanie, I just saw that it was available on DVD yesterday. I might get it... :)

Sherrill Quinn said...

Jennifer, on the Internet it lists the show as a Showtime show, but I watch it on the Sci-Fi channel.

T.A.Chase said...

I love this show, Sherrill..when I get the chance to catch it. Hilarious and thought provoking as well. I'm a huge Mandy Patinkin fan.

I've been watching "Heroes" and loving it as well. Hopefully they keep it up. :)

Sherrill Quinn said...

Yay, T.A.! Another Dead Like Me fan!