Thursday, May 31, 2007

Another Goodbye

Almost six months to the day after my dad passed away, his younger sister died after a third battle with cancer. She was almost 75.

My aunt R was funny and irreverent (like most of my dad's side of the family). It's been rumored we have an "earthy" sense of humor. LOL

My aunt always sent me something little for my birthday and for Christmas, even after I moved 2,000 miles away. I got to visit with her when I was home nearly 3 weeks ago now, and she seemed to be doing okay. Very tired, because all of her boys (8 of 'em) and their families had come in for Mother's Day. But otherwise, she seemed to be doing all right. She did make a comment that her stomach was feeling weird and made a comment that led us to think she thought it was the cancer working on her.

It wasn't. She passed away peacefully Tuesday night around 9 p.m. I got the call from my mom at 7:30 my time (10:30 her time). With it being that late, I knew immediately what had happened. I had half-way joked that Aunt R was waiting until the 30th so she would die exactly 6 months after her brother (my dad). But she went a day early.

Like all deaths like this, I'm torn between being comforted that she's no longer suffering, that her suffering won't get any worse (and it could have), and being extremely sad that she's no longer in this world.

I miss you, mean old bossy Aunt R. Love you.



Because I could not stop for Death,

He kindly stopped for me.

The Carriage held but just ourselves

And Immortality

~Emily Dickinson

4 comments:

Marie Tuhart said...

My prayers are with you and your family to suffer such losses in a short period of time.

Take care.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks, Marie. I appreciate it. :)

Maya Reynolds said...

Sherrill: You've had so much to deal with in the last six months. I'm so sorry.

God bless and keep you and yours.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Maya, both my dad and my aunt were not in good health. My aunt had cancer and was starting to feel some pain from it--not a lot, but it was definitely making its presence known. My dad wasn't in any pain, but he certainly wasn't well. Neither one of them are suffering anymore, but I really miss them. Thanks for your support--I appreciate it. :)