Monday, May 28, 2007

Happy Memorial Day

Courtesy of SparkleTags.com


Today's a day where we're to remember our fallen soldiers and loved ones no longer with us. I can't help but think of my dad, who served in the Korean war. I lost him 6 months ago this coming Wednesday. And now we are going to lose his sister as well, probably within the next few days. (That's my dad's first cousin--his best bud--one year before my dad, the cousin's mother six months before my dad, and now my dad's sister six months after him. Enough already!)

All I can think of are the words to Taps, written by Major General Daniel Butterfield:

Day is done...
Gone the sun
From the lake...
From the hills...
From the sky.
All is well...
Safely rest
God is nigh.

Fading light....
Dims the sight
And a star....
Gems the sky....
Gleaming bright
From afar....
Drawing nigh
Falls the night.

'Night, Dad.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~



Come on over to the Deliciously Naughty Writers' blog and read a little bit about where I write. While you're there--say hi, won't you? See you at DNW!


"Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments: