Saturday, July 26, 2008

Making Choices...Daring To Be

One of the things that intrigues me about science fiction (or, perhaps more appropriately, quantum physics theories) is the idea of parallel (or alternate) universes--for each choice we make, there are numerous choices we *didn't* make that could have/would have taken us down another road. And for each road not taken there is an alternate life playing out.

So...there's a Sherrill Quinn out there on an alternate Earth who never broke up with her boyfriend a month before her 16th birthday. She went ahead and married him after she graduated from high school and (if what happened with his actual wife played out between him and Sherrill), she had four kids. Which means she probably never went to college, never went into a career in Human Resources, never moved to Arizona, and never became a published author.

It's mind boggling, how different my life *could* have been had I not made the choices I have. (Because I'm tellin' ya, right now, if I'd had four kids, I'd probably be dead. Or insane. Don't get me wrong. I love kids. I also love sending them home with their parents when I've had enough. LOL)

I'm reminded of something I learned early on in my career. My first boss out of college was a big believer in not leaving your life up to the Fates, as it were. It's up to each person to make things happen in their lives. Her slogan was always "Be proactive, not reactive." What that means is I can't just sit around and wait for good things to come my way. I have to go out and look for them. I have to make sure I'm in the right place at the right time and make it happen.

It's the same for you too, you know. No one's going to look out for your interests better than you. So if you want to make a change, do it. Now. It's not as scary as you think.

No comments: