Monday, January 22, 2007

Stand-Up Guys

The latest edition of Cosmopolitan (yeah, I'm a Cosmo girl just like Elle Woods) has their Fun Fearless Male Awards. One of this years recipients is Julian McMahon, of Nip/Tuck. (I first saw him in Profiler, which I loved, and then later on Charmed.) One thing that he said that I think is just so sweet:

"I am one of those men who absolutely adores women. I don't care what you look like. Just the fact that you're a woman makes me feel good."

Aw, ain't it sweet?

Then Cosmo had a follow-up with their first recipient of the Fun Fearless Male Awards, Jon Bon Jovi. Jon was named the Ambassador for Habitat for Humanity this year. Here's what he had to say about that:

"I wanted to be not just the face of something, but a difference maker. A simple necessity of life is having four walls and a roof. People need the the opportunity not only to survive, but to thrive."

Now that's some powerful stuff. I love it.

Oh, and here's something else from Cosmo, totally unrelated to the above. You know how guys can watch the same movie over and over and over, and never get tired of it? According to Dr. Daniel Amen, author of Sex on the Brain, it's because men have lower activity levels in their brains when they watch movies, so they can watch them again and again. "Women, on the other hand, have busier brains and need more depth or rational aspects to be engaged by a film."

So while guys can watch Bruce Willis save the day many, many times, for a woman to see a movie more than once is because the flick hit them on an emotional level, not just as a two-hour diversion.

*frowning* Not sure I agree with that. I will admit that I have sat through a marathon of Star Wars and Star Trek movies more than once, and I can (and probably will) do it again. Granted, I have to be "in the mood" for it, just like if I'm really hankering for shrimp, a trip to the Olive Garden won't satisfy me. It has to be Red Lobster or nuttin.

So, what do you think? I know men and women are wired differently, but are they so different that it shows in the number of times they're willing to watch the same movie?




"I'm a woman of very few words, but lots of action." ~Mae West

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh. That would explain my husband's obsession with The Outlaw Josie Wales. 76 times and counting.

Me, I can watch Return of the King over and over, and always spend the last half of it in tears. Then I spend the next day telling people my allergies are acting up, and that's why my eyes are all puffy.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Too funny, kis. There are just some movies that *are* worth watching over and over. And over.

Marie Tuhart said...

I think men and women are wired differently. That would explain why the male in my house can sit all day Saturday watching western movies on AMC and Gunsmoke as well.

Me, give me the Mummy movies and I'm a happy camper.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Marie, I hear you there. But my question is this: Do you watch the Mummy movies because they appeal to you on some emotional level (like that doctor said)? Or just because they're fun?

Marie Tuhart said...

I watch the Mummy movies because their fun and because of the eye candy. And yes, I guess they do appeal on some emotional level, when I think about the relationship between the two main characters, Rick and Evie.

Also, got me thinking, I keep watching "Revenge of the Sith" on the Star Wars movies, because it does hit me emotionally. It's so much more than good vs. evil.

Marie Tuhart said...

Sherrill,

Just thought of another movie, called "The Wedding Date" that one I keep watching over and over because it's pure fun. And for characterization.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Well, every once in a while I have to drag out Dracula 2000. Not because I think it's particularly good, but because I get to look at Gerard Butler's nekkid bottom.

Does that make me shallow? *G*

Anonymous said...

Wow, someone else with my appreciation for GB. He's got a new movie coming out soon--300. It's about the Spartans at Thermopyle. GB in greaves and a leather kilt! *swoon*

Sherrill Quinn said...

Ooh, kis. I'll have to keep my eyes open for that. :)

Sam said...

Howdy, Sherrill, sorry I've been absent of late, but, as your token male, I just had to speak up about.
I have a good memory for movies, so it's hard for me to watch one over and over again - I look at my DVDs and click off scenes in my head. Something like "The Princess Bride" I can watch again and again because it's so fun to watch.
My brain is very active during movies, thank you very much, Cosmo! *BG*
You're a trekkie? How cool is that! When I was married we'd marathon the movies whenever a new one came out the morning before seeing it. Geeks Rejoice!

Sherrill Quinn said...

Yep, Sam, I'm a trekkie, and not afraid to admit it. Although I haven't gone so far as to attend a convention dressed up in Spock ears...

I remember when I'd watch the original series (in syndication, I was 3 when it first aired), and my Dad would say, "Oh, there's Old Dummy," talking about William Shatner. Just to get a rise out of me. But he sat there and watched the show, too. *G*