Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Tipsy Tuesday

We had another great RWA chapter meeting on Saturday. I can't stress this enough--if you write romantic fiction or some other genre with romantic elements, you need to join your local RWA chaper (if there is one) or an online chapter. Check RWA National to find a listing of chapters.

One of the topics covered at our meeting was Characterization by Pamela Tracy. What I found the most helpful was this formula: Character=Class+Distinguishing Characteristics. So, for example, with the Cinderella story we start with

Cinderella=beloved daughter+happy life with no expectations

and work our way through to the end of

Cinderella=princess+happily ever after.

Parallel the characterization of Prince Charming with Cinderella's, and we start with

Prince Charming=beloved son+great expectations

and work our way through to the end of

Prince Charming=prince+happily ever after.


Sometimes the two main characters end up with common items (i.e., "beloved daughter" and "beloved son"), but sometimes they are opposite (i.e., "no expectations" and "great expectations"). See what you can do with yours.

3 comments:

Jamie D. said...

I keep wondering if it's worth it to join the RWA, since I'd have to join an online chapter (we have no local chapter). I've gotten mixed answers...so good to hear yours too.

And interesting character exercise - I'll have to try that. Thanks!

Sherrill Quinn said...

Jamie, I hear from people who join a local chapter and have just a horrible experience because of cliques or whatever. It's too bad. I've had such a wonderful time with my local chapter--everyone has been wildly supportive of each other. I know I wouldn't be where I am in my career without this chapter.

This way of working out characterization was interesting. Good luck with it!

Colleen Love said...

I would have to do the same, Jamie. Someday I will be able to join though. :)

Thank you for what you share with us, Sherrill! This is one of the ways I love learning this industry.

Thanks for what you do!
C~